There is something wrong with my Bass!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brother Gomez, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Brother Gomez

Brother Gomez

Aug 5, 2004
    Right, here is the deal:
    I have an Ibanez K5, which may be a little on the lame side, but i bought it when i was young. Anyways, Its a nice bass an all, but lately [or for a long time, i may not have noticed], i have been having some interesting problems. I have been playing for a while, so im OK, but I know nothing about the technical side of things. So, when im trying to play a slap solo, such as Classical Thump, it all sounds very lovely when its not plugged in, but upon plugging it in, it doesn't seem quite right. The lower strings are fine, its just the D and the G string which seem to sound odd. When slapping them they seem to make no noise, other than a quiet, low twang. I have tried my older Ibanez bass on the same amp and setup, and it sounds much better, yet cost me 1/4 as much. I have tried all i can think of, from changing the strings, to using my effects processor, to changing the battery. All to no avail.

Its probably either me being a dumbass, but any help, however blatantly obvious would be great.
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Maybe you need to adjust the pickup height. Or possibly those two strings are dead, and you may need to change them, that's all I can think of.
  3. Pickup height is a possibility. Also, your pickups might have crapped out on you. But typically when they go, they don't go out on 2 strings. Here's a way to check if the pickups are actually "picking up": get a tuning fork, strike it, and hold it over each pickup in different parts of the pickup. If it doesn't pick up the tuning fork, it isn't working.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup...
  5. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    You're slapping the d and g? If you are, and it sounds like you are, you should pop them.