Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There is unrest in the forest, there trouble with the trees...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    ...for the maples want more sunlight, and the oaks ignore their pleas.

So what kind of bass is he playing on this? He's got some crazy sounds going on.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Ahh, The Trees. It sounds killer, doesn't it? He probably is using his Jazz or his Ric, but someone else could probably tell you everything you need to know. I just like the song. I don't mean to pollute your thread. :bassist:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some of the worst lyrics ever... good tune otherwise.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are you kidding man?! The metaphors are astounding!

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    It must be hard to sing those first couple lines with a straight face.

The effect is probably not even the bass. It could be his mini-Moog...I don't know if those taurus pedals can cop that sound?

So who knows for sure?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I haven't heard the song in a while, but I don't remember metaphors being used. A metaphor is a comparison between two things using like or as. A simlie is a comparison between two things without using like or as.

I think symbolism is the correct word.

That aside, Matt is 107% percent correct. I'll add that Neil Peart has written a few truly great songs, but he has also wrote some of the most awful dittys around. I think musically they are damn near perfect on the majority of their recordings that I've heard, but to me the lyrics are almost universally fecal.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Other way around. :smug:

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

???

Uhm...

It strikes me as stupid teenage poetry... crap on a crap cracker... sorry.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm kidding man. To each his own. :)

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I guess that is what I deserve for turning this place into talkenglish.com. :D

For the record, I'm chemical engineering major who has completed all the Literature/English courses I'll need for the time being, so I don't think I will ever have to worry about the minutae of the english language anymore.

Hopefully. I loved Lit, but hated Comp.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1

Git back to grade 7 and learn you some english! :d

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm chemical engineering student. If I aspired to be a writer I could understand why it would matter making a slight mistake in termonology.

But last time I checked, git (sic), had the letter E in it. :D

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    ANYWAYS... what kind of effects are being used on this song?

14. I'm not sure whay I'm even saying this...it's really unlike me to be negative, but...

I used to be the biggest Rush fan, and I do still listen to them occasionally, but once I discovered Genesis and Jethro Tull, I found it hard to go back.

Rush just seems too much like they are making an 'effort' or a statement to be playing something adventurous. Like "Hyperspace" from "Natural Science" is like "Hey, look at us! We're playing in 7/8 now!" Genesis will throw 13/16 or 15/16 in the middle of something and you won't even realize it's there because it seems so natural and uncontrived by comparison.

Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson is the ultimate in subtle. That stuff is outstanding in its abilty to push the boundaries of 'normal' without being too obvious about it. And you want to talk about a brilliant lyricist? Ian is the man. Easily one of the most underrated musicians and songwriters of our time.

Having said all this, Rush are still loads of fun and I still enjoy them. At least they are pushing the boundaries of three-chordom (unlike the vast majority of artists), and to be completely fair, for the last 20 years or so, they have become decidedly more subtle in their approach.

I don't know if this analogy will work for anyone, but I liken it to people who start to listen to classical music. Just about everybody likes Tchaikovsky at first, but later perhaps you'll stretch your boundaries and start to appreciate composers who stretch a little further like Shostakovich or Prokofiev.

15. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That sound is the Rick, and you're hearing a combination of sources at once. Part of it is either direct or a clean bass amp, and the other part sounds like it's running through a guitar amp and cab (probably Alex's rig at the time - a Marshall) with either a phaser or a flanger on it. Either the Electric Mistress flanger or the MXR Phase 90 will do that sound, but remember, that sound won't work unless it's combined with the dry bass signal (either clean amp or DI).

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I read something to this effect a few years back, and I remember specifically that the effect was a phaser, not a flanger, though I don't remember which one.

If you think Rush wasn't subtle, go back and learn some of the guitar parts. Alex navigated the chord progressions, key changes, and meter changes with amazing alacrity, and with nuances that are almost jazz-like. A highly underrated guitar player. The reasons stated earlier for liking Genesis and Jethro Tull are the reasons I prefer Rush to Dream Theater, though, so I kind of understand what you mean. I personally have always liked the fantasy quality to Neil's lyrics, as much as I liked their obvious growth and maturation over the last couple of decades. It's nice to be able to pick from a variety of styles and material for one of my favorite bands, and to see that musicians who have "made it" can still grow and mature doing rock music, IME.