Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There it was, the State of the Union Adress

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 28, 2003.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I found that Bush did a very good job of the address, and my personal thoughts are that war is almost inevitable. It is just not feasable that Saddam will just give up his little toys. I mean, would you give up your favorite bass, that you think is yours and nobody has any control over? Of course not!!

Your thoughts??
    SLicks

2. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    That speech was very well-delivered.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah, but my bass only poisons the ears of those in my vicinity...not the entire world!;)

decent speech...it always seems like the Joint Chiefs are "uncomfortable" upfront--kinda stiff...maybe too much starch in the uniforms?

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If we have a favorite bass, it could only be lethal if we chose to use it as such. Otherwise, I believe most people that contribute to this site work very hard for what they have. More so, they work in a free country, and have no reason to oppress, or gain anything from being oppressive.

A bass is not a toy so much as a tool.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very predictable.

WRT war, it's happening. Every day since last Saturday (or before) at least FOUR C-5As a day have been departing a large west-coast Marine air base near my house. That's just the ones I see. I don't think they're out distributing government cheese, if you catch my drift.

6. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    I give him a 4 for technical merit, and a 10 for artistic impression.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nicely tactful, smash. :)

i didn't watch the whole thing - did he give any further proof about the wmd?

8. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    He made some references to proof to be presented by Colin Powell at a meeting of the UN security council feb 5. One thing he did do was emphatically announce that the US will go it alone if it has to.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Your first State of the Union, eh?;)

JUST KIDDING:D

This is standard operating procedure. Politicos pop up like the gophers at Chucky Cheese whenever they agree with something. They sit to display their general lack of support. They've been doing this for at least as long as I can remember (late 60's). It's usually partisan. No big surprise there.

BTW I think the Joint Chiefs aren't allowed to clap during those portions of the address.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If it were that simple, you'd be correct in your thinking. You have to remember, there are all kinds of ways to "create jobs". There's direct funding of programs, "trickle down"... all kinds of ways to skin that cat. It's quite possible that what Bush is proposing is not the way others want it.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't want to goto war :(

12. You would think that "creating jobs" would excite the democrats, but alas, you saw that half of the aisle silent through most of the economic section of the speech

NickelWound, we do get the picture. We already know you think we liberals are filled with mindless drivel and are bad for society. Would you mind moving on? It's getting old.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I normally watch it every year and have seen I was younger than 10 but I really had no desire to watch it this time and I am not sure why. I don't dislike Bush at all, and I think the for the most part he is doing an ok job but I felt like if I watched the speech I would get upset for some unknown reason.

Brad you beat me to explaining the deal about the clapping and sitting of the republicans and democrats. I always get a kick out of that. Especially when they have a close up on someone sitting there with their arms folded looking miserable. Robert Smigel did a funny little cartoon on that on SNL once...

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nuclear.

NUKE-LEE-UR.

NOO-KLEE-ER.

15. Texas.

TEK-SUS.

TECH-SUSS.

16. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Chris - you so beat me to that one. What is the deal with his pronunciation of that word? I have never heard him pronounce it correctly, and i've heard him say it atleast 100 times since he took office. Do you think his handlers have him say it that way to seem more like an everyman?

17. Harry Truman couldn't pronounce it correctly, either, and I doubt he was being handled.

FWIW.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I missed it...how does he pronounce it?

19. NOO-kyu-lur.

Hey, I think Lyndon Johnson said it that way, too, although he might have just said NOO-klur.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ha...maybe it's a Texas thing. *shrugs*