1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There must be something about Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nussy the whale, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I'm going through some serious G.A.S. right now and as such I did an ebay search for Spector just to look at them :). Related searches for Lakland, Warwick, Alembic, etc. came up. Basically all the well-known "high-end/boutique" manufacturers. What I found to be really interesting was that Sadowsky only had two basses come up, while the other manufacturers had several to several pages worth of basses. Obviously people are not selling their Sadowsky basses! Now I've never played one, but what is it about them that makes them real "keepers" compared to say, Ken Smith, Fodera, Pedulla, and the other manufacturers listed above, among others?

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    All those others have their keepers too. You can't base a credible conclusion on a random statistic like that.
    Other than that, rock on! :)

3. jangalang

jangalang

Oct 5, 2008
    That Fender feel with a far less production rate

4. I know they all have their keepers, I was just surprised by how few Sadowskys were on eBay compared to other high-end/boutique builders and wanted to know what people think as to why that is

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I see Sadowskys for sale all the time...just not so much on ebay. Same thing for Zon, you just about rarely see them on ebay, but forum classifieds and such you see them all the time.

6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Lakland probably outsells Sadowsky at least 50:1. Warwick probably 500:1

Put it in perspective.

7. Sadowsky makes great basses, I had one and sold it for rent money. I ended up with a fodera though and think they are much better for me![​IMG]

8. IMHO Sadowsky makes very consistent/well-rounded basses. There is simply no need to get rid of it. I mean if you had a sadowsky and a warwick corvette for example and had to choose between one. it's probably going to be your sadowsky seeing as it has a recordable tone that can be used in about any application. The Warwick on the other hand has more of a niche tone that would not be universally transferred between genres very easily.

I personally prefer the tone and playability of a sadowsky standard or vintage over a Fender American Std Jazz and would much rather use that as a good "all-around" bass for its dynamic range in the stock pickups and tightness in the tone that comes from production.

If those are the basses you're interested i would recommend hitting up a bass shop or something and checking out sadowsky, fender, G&L , Lakland (US), MTD, or even Yamaha. Those all have very balanced tones which are recordable and affordable.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Exactly what I was thinking. Alembic has been around a lot longer too.

10. Sadowsky kind of fills my expectation for what I WISH Fenders were like.
    Though the American Deluxe have gotten a lot better lately, I still would rather go for a Sad.
    I also think they kind of fulfill a particular niche of the ne plus ultra bass that ISN'T some hippie sandwich coffee table monstrosity.
    I can see how a lawyer or upper management type that used to play bass but now works all the time would be inclined to drop some coin on one of these. They are well made, highly respected, and have that bespoke thing where you can spec out all kinds of details for your build. And as an added plus it doesnt jump out of its stand saying "I'm an expensive bass!" in case you have a spouse that would flog you for that.

11. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    For me, a Sadowsky is Mecca. The promised sonic land. Everybody has their opinion but personally, when my 7 months build showed up at my door I felt I had arrived. Tonally these instruments are pure perfection. They are not space age...they are just right. Nothing is average...nothing is half-assed. Nothing has to be compensated for. There is no genre, groove, or slap situation these things can't handle. Versatility to the 64th power, I you will. Mine will go in the casket with me :)
    You're right....there IS something about Sadowskys. Pay close attention and you'll see that the few people selling them almost always seem to be looking to cover expenditures and have to part with 'em due to genuine financial reasons. Read these same folks a few months later and you'll hear the cries of regret that losing a Sad produces.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So much for the rent ...

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Unless Fodera gently slips in your "Santa wishlist"...

Cheers,
    Wallace