1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There will be more versions of the Ibanez ATK!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jun 8, 2007.

1. I played one of the new ones today.

It was labeled the ATEX3K or something, $499 (At Guitar Center), black w/ black pick guard, rosewood fingerboard and matching headstock. Still seemed pretty bright to me, but I didn't have a maple boarded ATK to compare it too.

I also heard from one of the admins over on the Ibanez forums that there will be 24 fret-Maple fingerboard ATK's and maybe even a return of the ATK400/1300's with the J pickup at the neck!

So yea, I love Ibanez for listening to the public. And keep your eye's peeled for them at GC's and what not, I almost overlooked the ATK I mentioned above until I realized it had a rosewood board and was not the Paul Grey model.

(I have no affiliation with ibanez other than being a big fan of them, I'm just passing on very good news!)

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    That is good to hear. Not surprised either. In truth, the ATK was never discontinued. Ibanez just stopped marketing it in the USA.

I am guessing that the popularity of OLP stingray copies and other on MM pickup basses (e.g. Fernandes Atlas) just convinced Ibanez that they had a market again.

I feel somewhat vindicated by this, I have to say. I've been an ATK enthusiast since they were introduced in teh early 90's. I actually wrote a review on them compared to EBMM stingrays. I do think...in some ways they are... better.:bag:

3. I like ATK 4's over Stingray's because the ATK's don't have that extra hi-fi pingy sound. They get growlier and are less bright, and is what makes me like them more.

4. I think that the ATEX3K is a GC exclusive, that's why we don't carry the other models. We don't have the ATK700's because they are special order only :crying: , I don't know about the other models.

5. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I was about to say the same, the "EX" models are GC exclusives. They do several guitars, too, such as the RG5EX, etc.

6. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Not every EX model is a GC exclusive. My S520EXGSF certainly wasn't. Many of them are, though, and they're usually nice enough- like your RG5EX1 example (even though it's made in Indonesia).

Then again, I've always been a sucker for reverse headstock guitars, so Ibanez in general is right up my alley.

Since wacky fretboard inlays seem to be a common point for EX models, did this ATK have a funky inlay, or was the board just blank?

7. Regular pearl dots on Rosewood.

8. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I know not every EX is a GC guitar. There are various Ibanez models with the EX name, such as RG2570EX, etc.

9. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I played the EX ATK the other day at my GC here in Cleveland and it was bright as well.. Really bright.. But played nice and they just took it out of the box and handed it to me LOL..

I guess they know me :)

10. I CAN"T WAIT for the maple 24fret ibanez atk's to come out, hopefully they will re-release the ATK400 with the jneck pup so i'll have a chance at buying it :smug:

If they do release it, which I'm PRAYING they will I'll probably buy one and have it tuned to BEAD just like the dude from Crowbar, lol!

11. steve21

steve21 Inactive

All Ibanez would have to do to get my sale would be to make the spacing 19mm on the 5 stringers.

Please?

12. fake-bass

fake-bass

Oct 17, 2006
    Hobart
    Anyone got any pics of these?

I love the ATK range.

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I played the same one in cleveland and was very impressed. I loved it. It was 700$ though and that was way out of my range.

What a nice bass though.

14. +1000. I've been looking for an ATK405 for ages (ie, years), but it seems they're rare as rocking horse poo these days. If they re-issue it, I'll buy two. Maybe even three if they do a fretless! :D

15. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I'm the proud owner of an ATK 400 that is quite customized (bassculture pickups), modded preamp and lackered neck(gloss) and I really like It i'm going to buy a second 400 and have a ebony board for fretless yihaaaa

16. I've got an old 305 from 96, I'd love to get a 405 or 1305 if they're re-issued!

17. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've been interested in these basses off and on, and with them coming back, I may give one a try...

18. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    All in all, I see the Musician and ATK ranges as the most successful Ibanez basses ever in terms of design, and it's good news they're taking clues from response on forums such as TB (not that TB has any contest :) ).

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021