Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's a Fodera in the house!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Sep 21, 2002.

1. I am the proud owner of a Fodera VW Monarch. 4 string, flamed koa body w/matchng headstock, ribbon mahogany body, maple neck with a rosewood board. The electronics are EMG P/Js with the Pope preamp. The workmanship is very good and the tone is articulate and woody. The preamp is better than I remember. It's a blast to play.

Thanks to those who offered great insight that helped me make this decision.

Here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    That looks amazing!!!! Congrats!!!!

3. Forgot to mention - I traded the Modulus Hollowbody for the Fodera. The Mod is a great bass, but I just couldn't pass up the Fodera...

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have the same bass with flame maple for the top. You'll love it. Fast to play, light on stage to play all night, and good to look at. Congrats!!

Rob

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    beautious, Jeff- enjoy !!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  8. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    How id the the neck connected to the body? I've never seen anything like that...

9. Dovetail joint. It's pretty much the best way of gluing up a neck--it's like a bolt-on joint, but with glue instead of screws. A lot of hand carving has to be done to make it a perfectly smooth transition. It's not an easy technique, so very few builders use it.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You dog!!!..........., er, I mean - You wealthy dog!!!!

I remember I predicted you'd be pulling out your plastic for one several months ago.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah. that is very nice. I think got a great deal..

Was it the mod for the fodera.. or was it the mod + some $ ????

12. bbp

bbp

Jul 25, 2002
    very cool man, congrats. i've got that one with the flame maple top too. it's the bass of my dreams. i never played a bass that was faster or that balanced better. the workmanship is flawless.

one thought in case you don't know about it. on this model the truss rod may be installed upside down. at least it is on mine. what i mean by that is if you want to increase relief, you TIGHTEN the rod. if you want to straighten the neck, you LOOSEN the rod. i asked joey why they do that. he said that if, by chance, you run out of relief, you can flip the truss rod. i doubt that's ever happened, but then again, they've planned for every contingency. just wanted you to know.

13. Rick - Late gig last night? :D

ldiezman - yeah, there was some cash involved in the transaction. But I feel good about the deal. It was a tough decision. I had originally traded the DP for the Modulus at Larry Morgan Music in Dallas (Garland, actually). I had wanted a Monarch they had in stock, but it sold right before I arrived at the store. So, I traded for the Modulus instead. The Mod was a special order with Aero pups and an Aggie preamp. It is a great bass with one of the best necks I have ever played on. They received another Monarch last week. We spent about an hour A/B'ing the 2 basses and the Fodera was just a better option for me. I wanted a great 4 string more than I need another 5 string.

bbp - thanks for the advice!

14. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Jeff, that is AWESOME bro. Nice!! :)

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the one thing i don't get is that VW's #1 fodera and his tenor are both neck thrus, but the VW signature bass is a set neck. :confused:

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh......you noticed I posted a little after 3am.....well, that's "getting home early" from a lot of gigs. I wouldn't even bring your new bass to most of my gigs.....I'd worry about it all night!

For some reason, your pics weren't visible at that hour. Now that I see them, I'd really love to see that thing in "real life." The flamed koa looks absolutely flawless! And it just gets rarer by the day.

Just being honest - My only gripe is these Rolls-Royce luthiers who slap those gawdawful plastic control covers on the body and charge megabucks for their basses!!! :mad: That's fargin' flamed koa!!! Don't insult the wood with a plastic cover!!!

Love the P-J pup combo! That neck joint looks clean as a whistle and is unlike anything I've ever had in my hands.