1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There's a hen's tooth listed on Ebay: Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    These don't come up too often, and this one is across the pond listed a starting bid of approximately $720 USD (which is an ambitious starting price, in my opinion):

Fender Modern Player Short scale Jazz Bass (white Blonde) Super Rare! | eBay

And for those considering one, I recommend you think about some really well-crafted options like Marszuchyk or Bacchus that are out there for about as much or less.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    ErikP.Bass likes this.
  2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Never seen one of these. Pretty cool.

3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    It was a very limited run. Fender was being cruel, which set the stage for the short scale rush of '16 last fall when the Mustang P/J was released. I literally bought the first one I could find locally because I was afraid Fender would pull another "Modern Player Jazz Short Scale" debacle again. I wasn't the only one, either, there's a 50 page thread on that bass.

To be fair, the Mustang is a really nice bass in its own right. I just still want a short scale jazz. I may end up with a Bacchus or a Marczuzyk (can't spell that name for the life of me).

At the end of the day, the Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz bass is a Chinese made bass. It's a good bass, just not worth more than $500 in my opinion (which is more than they sold for new).

blue4 likes this.
  4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    It has been speculated that the short lived Modern Player line were largely Frankensteins that were conjured to use up stocks of existing parts from Fender/ Squire loss leaders. The Starcaster was an exception. I was truly surprised that this out of all, flashed and crashed the quickest, given the upsurge in short scale popularity.

5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Interesting...

6. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    There was a pretty big thread about them a few years ago:
    Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz Bass - PJ

I considered getting one, but had just had a bad experience with a different chinese bass
    that pretty much scared me off of it.

I'm glad I waited because I'm very pleased with the P/J Mustang that's out now.

Edit: just checked the thread - they were $399 new in the US, and someone got one from MF
    during a president's day sale for about $339.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Well, someone bid it to $550. Shipping will be additional, but there are 4 more days left on the auction. I suppose we will see what the market will bear on these. I would not pay a sent more than $550 shipped, so this is already out it's worth at this point.

8. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I'd love to try one. For their original price, they were a bargain.

9. I played one, when they were available, at GC. I loved it. Only 19 frets; I require at least 21, and will settle for 20 (standard P & J), if I must. The Squier SS Jag is still the better offering, is Indonesian-made, less expensive, more mod-able, and more widely available. It is the short scale to get, if you are in any way a Fender guy/gal. Beef up the J pickup, and throw on a hi-mass bridge, and the Jag becomes a monster you'll love.

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  10. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Wow - it went for "Approximately US $755.34".

Someone must have wanted that bass bad.

11. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Wait, I was incorrect. The second listing I looked at was a USA listing. The original listing never sold, though he did drip his price to 640 Euros.

12. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
  13. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    That's another P/J though.

I thought you were pretty well set on getting a jazz bass.

14. I just saw the USA one for sale an hour ago.
    I'd sure like a chance to try one of these, but being "Hen's Teeth" and all...

I also watched the one in the UK.
    Seller was asking double the retail, 600 Pounds on eBay, 300 Pounds new. (about $740 USD eBay priced.)
    I saw something about import tax being 0.00 and would be computed at time of sale??
    Also I wondered about importing a bass with a Rosewood fb.

Man... wished I had seen that one at MF!
    Anybody know if that was in Red or WB?
    WB has tort. :bassist:

15. Which high-mass bridge do you recommend for a Jag SS?

16. I have the Schaller roller (adjustable spacing) bridge.
    Here are two caveats for what it's worth:

1. It's a 3 hole mounting design. I started by using the center Fender hole to position it. Then I had to drill the other two. I filled in the other four Fender holes with dowels first as there isn't a whole lotta meat between screw holes otherwise.

2. I ended up moving the Schaller back (towards the bottom) about 1/8 inch because in the Fender screw hole position, there was barely enough travel in the E string saddle to intonate. It had the spring almost fully compressed.

The jury is still out IMO as to how well it works on the Short Jag. I have way more sustain, too much for my liking. But some of that may be due to other changes I made like different, but same style and slightly heavier tuning pegs. I should have only changed one thing at a time and tested the results. I also have a temporary, very much lighter weight control plate. It was a prototype for my reconfigured control layout. Plan to fashion one out of brass or something similar that is closer in weight to the original plate.

Strings are D'Addario, flat tape wound. Oh but she growels!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Fender released a true short scale jazz within the last 5 years or so. It was only released in Japan though. Called the smart size jazz bass.

18. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    They were good basses, but not for over $400. And definitely not used for that much. I wanted one of these when they came out. When Fender ended the run I still wanted one so I bought a SX ash jazz SS. To be honest, it's a good enough bass to ease that pain. I was never able to play the MP I could only judge it by the long scale versions, but it's as good as the Squier jags. I've played a ton of those, they're good basses too.

19. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    It should be noted those are actually smaller than the original bass in question here. The Smart Size jazz bass was around 28.6 scale length. The bass overall was 15% smaller than a full scale bass, which may be smaller than people like. I know the body was just a bit too small for my liking and I sold it despite the fact that it was an exceptionally made instrument and played and sounded excellent.

The Modern Player Short Scale Jazz is not as small.

20. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Ok then there may have been another SS jazz from fender Japan. I distinctly remember a sunburst tort jazz that was short scale and only had like 16 frets.