Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's a lot pick players out here, What kind and thickness do you all use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Funkster, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi now we all know there's alot of pick players out there. What kind of pick and thickness do you all use?
    When I use a pick it's a Dunlop Green tortex .88 these last forever!

[Edited by Funkster on 11-03-2000 at 06:53 AM]

2. If I do use a pick I use a 2mm or 3mm Dunlop Stubby. I like the small indents on either side for your thumb and finger tips. Very comfortable for me. I'll bring one with me and the Sansamp!

ZB

3. I serioulsy think i use the thinnest picks. Dunlop Tortex .60mm (orange). i use them for bass and guitar. even guitar players think i'm crazy for using such thin picks, you should see their face when i tell them i also use them on my bass. but i dont always use picks, i only use picks for punk. everything else gets fingering.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Fender 351 heavy. Gotta be WHITE.

Or Carvin heavy. Same shape as the fenders but they only come in black.

'Course, I only use it for like three songs in the soft jazz band I'm in now. And NEVER on fretless.

5. If I ever need to use a pick for anything, I just grab one of the ones I've got stuck to my book shelf with blue tac. It's basically just a bunch of my brother's old picks before he left for college. Fender, Gibson & Pick Boy thin, medium, heavy and extra heavies. Dunno what thickness they are, but I don't really care too much, either. :p

6. I use about three different kinds of picks myself. I like Fender heavy picks, but I also use two types of Dunlop ones as well. I use a 2.0mm Dunlop 500 series (I think that is what it is called [see I'm killing time while being a teacher assistant right now at my University, so I can't exactly check]), and a Tortex purple. I don't really like the thicker picks as much, they tend to slap the string harder and that smacking sound really comes through while you're playing

7. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    On the few songs that I use a pick, it's either a
    Fender heavy or a Dunlop green Tortex .88. I also
    roll off some high end with my bass's tone knob.

8. The few times that I ever use a pick, I use a Fender extra heavy. I also have some of the Dunlop Big Stubby ones in 2.0mm. I cannot get the control and sound that I want out of thin picks. I even use thick picks on my guitar. Again, the control is better.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For bass, Fender heavies, although I'm a fingerstyle player. Also, JD Jazz II picks 2mm for guitar playing.

Will C.:cool:

10. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    i use a dunlop jazz III sharp-tipped 1.38 gauge. these picks are very grippy because of the writing on it. and you don't have to have gel on your hands (gatorgrips).

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I only use picks when my fingers are sore or on the rare occasions when the sound calls for it, but when I do, the Dunlop Stubby is the best I've found, 2 or 3mm, unlike a lot of heavy picks, they taper to a fairly thin point, so you get the control of a heavy pick without the clankiness.

12. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    THe Pick I found best to use was a simple quarter yup a 25 cent peice.....In the metal band I was in sometimes I needed a real abrasive sound. A quarter gives you a metallic sound with a lot of overtones great for strumming gives you that TOOL kinda sound

13. Yellow or green Tortex (the ones with the turtle), depending on how I feel. Green ones have a better bass response, but I can play faster/more accurately with the yellow.

14. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I only have two picks--a Fender and a Carvin, both mediums.

15. colforbin

colforbin

Nov 10, 2000
    I just picked up these new picks today...they are felt on the outside...Really nice for bass playing...thick, firm, and the felt keeps the bass from sounding too "picky"..I don't know who makes them though, as they don't have anything on them...

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use a metal pick (forget who makes it, or when I got it). It's a nice, big triangle. I only use it with my MIA '75 Jazz reissue with TI flatwound strings. The only problem is that it is super smooth, so it can get away from you if you sweat alot. The nice thing is that I've had it for about 3 years, and it hasn't worn away at all.

Oh, BTW, I think Chris Squire from Yes used a quarter, or similar coin for a pick with his Rick.

17. Coins rule! Try experimenting with different coins. I like nickels, although they are kind of thick. I have to try that new dollar...

It creates a metallic sound. Metal against metal.

18. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    I would never use a pick for bass myself, but I use them for guitar. Anyway, I´m sitting here looking at BOB DAISLEYS old pick, one that I caught at a Dio concert a few years ago. It´s surprisingly thin, a grey Dunlop nylon pick .88mm. He used it on a refinished pre CBS P-bass (and it didn´t sound like pickplaying at all).

19. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I like Dunlop stubbies which are 2 and 3mm, or else the regular dunlop picks in 2 or 3mm. I like thick picks because they don't move from side to side and flex, so your in control of the movement more.

20. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    Ive tried many picks but found i like Dunlop tortex 1.0 mm (blue)They last long and dont spin in your fingers when you sweat.