Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's a lump in the top where the sound comes in...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by hdiddy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys,

So I know I should probably get Lex Luthier to look at this but I thought I'd defer to you guys first for opinions. I had a soundpost adjusted a while back (the guy noticed that it was a little too tight against the top so he shaved it down some). Since then I went from the stock chinese strings on my Chrissy Hybrid, to LaBella 7710's, and now to Corelli 370F's.

Two weeks ago I noticed that the bridge feet had moved from the center position so I loosened her up and slid her back into place (between centered the cuts on the f-holes as prescribed on other threads and where the luthier moved it before).

Last week as I was cleaning up around the feet, I noticed that there was a palpable lump where the soundpost contacts the top. I took a mirror and looked at the SP and didn't notice anything funny but was a bit wary to see that there was this 'pressure' on the top. I was worried that the SP would go through the top so I moved it up a little bit - still centered but slightly above the previous spots by say, 1cm to maybe reduce a little pressure. The bass did sound much better when the bridge was dead center though. I don't think anythings cracking (at least not at the moment) especially since the bass is still pretty new. Is this normal or something I should get looked at right away? I was planning on taking her in to get some FB work cuz the Corelli's are buzzing a little and maybe thought to have it looked at then too.

Thanks for the help.

2. You mean you moved the bridge back closer to where it had been before, right?

3. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, back closer to where it slid (it went up toward the FB).
    I remember someone saying in another thread taht if you move it too far south (toward the tailpiece) that you run the risk of pushing the SP through the top.

I need to mention too that it's hardly noticable by the eye, but you can feel it if you rub your fingers on the lumpy area.

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hrmmm.... no a week and no responses. No news is good news. Woohoo!

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You might PM a luthier directly. I'd missed your post until tonight as I was perusing with the final smoke of the day.

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    The lump you describe is a result of the top being too thin in the soundpost area, or the post does not fit properly, or the post is ultra-tight. It needs to be looked at right away by a qualified person. Also, you say you moved the soundpost about a cm. I doubt if it could still fit if moved so drastically...I think you are flirting with serious trouble. Sorry to rant, but people think they can just move a soundpost around to change the response or tone. However, as soon as you move it from the spot to which it was fitted, it usually will need some refitting or other tweaking to assure that the post is not digging unevenly into the top or back. Setting a soundpost well takes years of practice!

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    The 'it' I was referring to in my previous post was the bridge, not the SP. Heck no I wouldn't touch the soundpost! I'll call the luth today and maybe he can look at it tomorrow. Thanks guys.

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I took my chrissy to my luthier about 2 months ago to get the tailpiece hanger changed to a nylon cord. He noticed that the SP was too tight and so he trimmed it down and put it back in.

So I called him a moment ago and he told me that the bass is probably settling down since it is new and needs more readjusting. You guys weren't kidding when you said that new basses need to be looked at often in the first couple of years!

Thanks again.