There's another storm brewing!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pilotjones, Dec 7, 2012.

1. This is an exiting project, Peter!!!! Enought to bring me back to work for a spell!!! :)

2. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm glad you're excited, Larry! I'm very happy for you to semi-un-retire to work with me on this.

I've got all my templates ready -- and along with the build specs and material description I wrote up today, I'll be mailing them to you, hopefully tomorrow.

As a little background information, a few years back I did a little engineering work for someone. I was just doing a favor, but when it was done, that person graciously offered to buy me wood from Gallery Hardwoods (Larry's business) whenever I finally got around to building a bass.

I did the first bass with Home Depot wood, as practice, and in the meantime Larry retired. But for the second bass I'm very fortunate both that the person is still supporting their offer, and that Larry has agreed to work with me, with whatever stock he has.

3. Subscribing!!!!!

4. punsintended

punsintended

May 18, 2011
    plot, no doubt it'll be a stormin' bass.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just ordered an Amana bowl bit. :eyebrow:

:D

Time to start the new expenses spreadsheet.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    The first lesson I learned after my first project was: Do NOT keep track of expenses. Ignorance is bliss. :smug:

What's the bowl bit for? Roundover?

7. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Well, the body outline will get a roundover. But this bit is convex, not concave, so I suppose it will produce...a roundunder?

8. Are you planning on doing a convex back on the bass, like a Spector? Because that bit would be perfect for shaping something like that.

lowsound

9. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    True, it would be good for that. But that's not what I'm doing.

I think you can see where it'll be used in the pis posted - there will be a rounded blend between the raised fretboard and the ground of the body, that should bring out the dividing veneer.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Aha. So the router bit is without a ball bearing, then?

I now realize that I'm not entirely sure what a bowl bit is anymore. :oops:

11. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No, I ordered this one with a top bearing, to follow a template.

Like a cove bit, but with the top bearing, and center cutting at the tip.

[​IMG]

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Dig it, Pete. Seems like those bowl bits would be ideal for making chambers.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That's a great idea. Compared to a straight bit, that gentle corner would be better structurally, with a gradual stress transition. It would also allow chambers to be maybe 1/8" closer to the outside wall, given the constraints due to external roundovers and contour cuts.

And, it would just be cool.

14. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    To start the celebration:

file-5.jpg
    Awesome. Just as good as when I've had it on tap. Full, fruity but not too much so, just enough sweet and bitter.

15. T-34

T-34 Wanna go headless? Supporting Member

I used this bit (same brand!) Worked out very well!

3176180535_aae0782bb1_o.jpg

3176180589_b0a92bcb6e_o.jpg

3177016802_52101d13bd_o.jpg

16. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Cool! Looks nice. How much of that was freehand, and how much with templates?

17. T-34

T-34 Wanna go headless? Supporting Member

All templates...

18. Jandrew

Jandrew

Nov 15, 2010
    Framingham, Ma
    I use bowl bit to finish off the control cavity. Looks really nice! Love the bowl bits!!

19. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Cool. You must not have your pots too close to the wall then. I can imagine using it for the cavity, except it would be harder to do the copper foil shielding.

20. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I picked up a few tools this weekend.

First up: this was a cheap set of Chinese pieces, and the vinyl pool float stench from the pouch attests to it. Currently half priced at Woodcraft. I don't expect them to be tempered properly for metal die work, but for wood they should be OK. These are fine cut files, rather than the coarse rasp-type ones I've seen before for wood. They might be useful in blending some contours, if I can get them to cut without clogging.
    file-6.jpg

This is something I've been wanting for a while:
    file-7.jpg
    I definitely enjoyed doing the last neck (and some roundovers) with my giant rasp, and files. But I've seen enough glowing mentions of this to want to try it.

Question:
    I might be making a new workbench. Can anyone give me any suggestions of favorite plans, or websites with plans? Thanks.