1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There's any copy (sounds like) of Memory boy deluxe delay.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by irbass, Jul 5, 2014.

1. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I'm putting a pedalboard together.
    Last week i got from Samash a MBD and I'm really, really, really impressed with it.
    I don't know if exist something so good like that
    I returned it because it was with scratches looks like has been used.
    I kept it 3 days to try it, Just one thing it's in my concern, the size of the pedal.
    it's too big compared with the ones i got until now.
    So I'm looking something small with the same sound, Tap tempo needed.
    $300 bellow, not much more than this.
    If anybody know something
    Please help

My list of pedals i got already.

Aguilar TLC Compressor
    Aguilar Octamizer
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter M82
    MXR Bass chorus deluxe M83
    MXR Bass Fuzz deluxe M84
    Tc Elect. Polytune
    Digitech JamMan Solo XT
    EBS DynaVerb.

Still Needed .
    Delay ---> :help::help::help:
    Isp Decimator
    MXR bass preamp M81
    Maybe -- > G-labs Bass wowee wah ( Not sure yet )

Tks guys.

2. Depends entirely on what you want or can live without. The DMBTT is big and sounds great. But there's little out there that does the same. The Way Huge Supa Puss is out again, but they've had mixed reviews (again). The Catalinbread Belle Epoch sounds amazing, but doesn't have tap tempo or a speed control for the modulation. The JHS Panther Cub is too expensive for my tastes.

Right now, I'm running the DMBTT into the Catalinbread Echorec. The DMB is handling all the weird square wave modulation stuff while the Echorec does it's multitap with mild modulation thing beautifully.

irbass likes this.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    There aren't very many analog delays around that have tap tempo. I personally preferred the Supa Puss to the DMB that I used to have, and it also is significantly smaller- though apparently some people have had issues with them as mentioned. You could also check out the Strymon Brigadier- it is a digital emulator of an analog delay, but if its anywhere near as nice as their El Capistan then I would recommend it highly! I've heard pretty good things about the Diamond Memory Lane Jr. as well- though it is also an analog emulator. Worth mentioning some tape-echo emulators as well- the Wampler Faux Tape Echo and Strymon El Capistan are both great (I'd say the Wampler might get closer to the DMB tones, but still quite different), and there are a handful of other options there as well.

4. I thought the Wampler's modulation was very tame. Not weird enough for me.

5. seansv

seansv

Jun 19, 2011
    Philadelphia PA
    +1 to the Capistan

Hard to not suggest the completely editable tc flashback which has tap tempo as well (by playing muted notes). Memory boy gets weird in great ways that are hard to beat though.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah its definitely FAR tamer than the DMB, which I consider a plus but obviously YMMV!

7. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I'll try to answer some inputs.

I need, want a simple delay DMB has a lot of divisions that I'll not use.
    But i loved the sound, the way it goes. So i can leave with simple delay, without all the subdivisions
    and extra Eq's/Divisions but i can't leave without tap tempo.

- Catalinbread Belle Epoch looks nice, but i need, want tap tempo.
    -I've heard really good things about El Caspitan.
    -Wampler Faux Tape Echo where i leave they don't have in stock to my try it, and i didn't
    find any video or clip sound on bass.
    -TC eletronic maybe reverb for me, Delay I know it's good but not in my list.

8. Yep. This here is the same problem I ran into. Never thought I would ever use the subdivisions. I've had it for 2 weeks and I've used at least half of them now. I'll never use the EXP mode either. Then I probably will.

As for other pedals without tap tempo, here's another solution if you're a well-balanced individual (I'm not):

[​IMG]

9. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Gotcha you

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    How about TC Electronic Nova Repeater? Very straightforward easy to use great sounding delay with tap tempo. I use one and it's flawless. The only thing it doesn't do is self oscillation. Great digital, analog and tape delays (and a few more) and fantastic modulation control. I had a TC Flashback before it and the strum tempo just didn't do it for me. Repeater's tap tempo is awesome.

11. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I'll check about it.
    Tks

12. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    The Flashback x4 is excellent.
    Big, but sounds wonderful.
    And I've owned and used great delays for years.
    Love the Flashback

13. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I've heard good things about flashback.
    They should install a jack for external tap tempo on the small one.
    It'll be really nice.

14. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I was looking and I found some really good reviews on a old delay, Marshall EH-1 Echohead.
    In Canada they still have it brand new, but i found one used on Ebay, and I got it.
    The size it's what I'm looking for, But i don't know about the sound. As soon as i get it, I'll post
    what i think about it. if I don't like it I'll try to sell it on Craigslist and move to another one.

From Marshall Website.

From crystal-clear echoes to hypnotic reverse delays via the vintage whir of a retro tape machine, the Echohead recreates six different delay FX for you to explore. Create pulsing tones and add dense rhythmic textures to your sound. The EH-1 features a maximum delay time of 2000ms, stereo outputs, and a Tap Tempo delay input.

The dual outputs offer the choice of using a passive bypass for the main signal path to ensure complete tonal integrity or to allow your pedal to spill over, permitting your echo to naturally die away.

15. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
  16. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    i thought the same thing :) actually its quite a bit smaller than the mbd.. i was pleasantly surprised when i got the empress tremolo.
    MBD: 7 x 2 x 3.5 inches
    empress: 4.5 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches

17. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    That would be nice, but I find the 3 presets option of the X4 to be perfect for my needs on Guitar.
    3 different delays with Tap tempo covers me.

irbass likes this.
  18. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I didn't know that.
    I'll take a look.

19. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    you can't tap or but you can "play" the tempo into the flashback while holding the switch down.. but it switches off all signal while doing that , which can really suck in a live situation.. (i use the flashback but only on the LOFI and Loop modes, its quite a decent sounding pedal but the pots etc are giving me some trouble)