Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's no shortcuts.....Practice, Practice, Practice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LarryO, May 18, 2004.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Why can't most people grasp this? Those damn triplets are cramping my left hand. Damn you metal guitar players who write fast songs....LOL

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    go with 3 finger technique, 3-2-1-3-2-1, that should ease those triplets up.
    Read Steve Di Giorgio's article on his site on this subject, very interesting :bassist:

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, those triplets are a pain... but it's great finger exercise. Once you stop getting those cramps, you know you're the boss! :cool:

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Let me be the Devil's Advocate and tell you to use a pick. From my experience, playing bass longer than playing guitar, I picked up some pretty quick picking - 16ths at 120 (ok not speed demon fast but pretty quick) with a few months of practicing my alternate picking. Way way faster than I can play a bass using 2 fingers, even though I've been playing bass longer. Granted I haven't put in any "Speed" time for 2 finger technique but the majority of the faster speed metal bassists use picks. Some people may quote some famous metal bassists that use their fingers, however, I will put myself on the line and say that they either don't play speed or thrash metal and are nowhere near as fast as the fastest metal pick players. Granted there may be a few exceptions but I'm talking majority here. Anyways, the pick is a tool, a tool that can be used for speed on the bass.

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    the fastest bass player i know plays strictly fingerstyle. grindcore, extreme death metal - + 200bpm. and that`s 200bpm with difficult stuff... he says he could not play that fast with a pick and keep his tone and playing style.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't know if you read my post but I said it was my LEFT hand that was cramping. I'm right handed (not that you knew that). A pick isn't needed.......triplets with alternate fingerpicking is not hard at all....alternate your fingers....that's it. It's the damn guitar players in dropped D tuning and there silly chord changes

7. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    200bpm what?

Sorry Larry-O I assumed it was a right hand question because of the second post. The "left hand" part just went in one ear and out the other :)

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    wohow, who is this guy? you made me curious :)

9. D_man

D_man

May 14, 2004
    I just began learning the bass about six months ago..i'm looking for any exercises that will help get my hands stronger and my fingers faster and more accurate...i'm willing to put in the time i'm just not sure where to begin....
    so any ideas...on what i'm looking for would be great...thx

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    ...and welcome to talkbass!

12. Remember to use a metronome. Start slowly, and gradually speed up. To play fast accurately you need to play slowly at first. Relax.

BTW, this is my first post to TB! Whoa!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No shortcuts huh? What about genies. If you had a genie make you the greatest bass player ever, it would be a shortcut.

Edit: Unless it was an evil genie, then you'd remain of equal talent and every other bass player would be reduced to fieLdy's level.

14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Edit: Unless it was an evil genie, then you'd remain of equal talent and every other bass player would be reduced to fieLdy's level.[/QUOTE]
    forum police-Nobody says the F word.

15. If there *was* a shortcut to being a great bassist, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would just be the way.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Phhht... sorry buddy, we don't all have genies. :rolleyes:

17. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'm not sure if he still uses the finger technique but Frankie Bello from Anthrax played all their classic stuff fingerstyle. I have a live video of them from 87 and he is just cranking out the speed on every song except for 'Gung Ho' which he uses a pick on. Very fast player. Good too. :D