Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's no tone in my head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I've been looking into purchasing a new set up for a while now. With the (hopeful) sale of a little gear, I'll soon have the funds. I've considered a number of combinations (combos, pre/power, head/cab, SS, tube) and simply cannot decide. Assuming that they all fit my specs for power, weight, convenience and budget, the usual response is to go with what sounds good to you. Whatever matches the tone in your head. The problem? I like them all. Polling the audience is useless. I simply like the sound of an amplified bass. Everytime. I'm not really looking for advice...I just thought I'd share.

Mike

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Need to know:

What's your budget?

You like tube (warm) sound or bright sound?

What type of music you play?

How loud do you need (lots pf watts for little)?

How many ohms do you need to run at?

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Then you are in a unique position my friend. If tone is not a concern, because, as you put it, you like them all.... I would simply look for something that does the following:

Meets your volume requirements (i.e. fits in the mix with your band situation), is modular enough that moving it won't be an issue, and obviously fits into your budget.

If tone truly isn't an issue, that's what I would like at as far as the aspects of a new rig are concerned.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    You like ALL tones? Because if thats the case, I'll sell you my cabinet with blown speakers for 100 bucks :p

5. That's what I'm getting at. I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 set ups, none of which appeal to me more than the other. I like both the stereotypical tube and SS sounds. Impedence is not really an issue, either, as each choice of mine involves a new cabinet. Budget will hover under $1200. At this price point, there is a lot a really good equipment available (used equipment is also being considered). I know no one can make this decision for me...I'm just at a total impasse as to what to do and figured I'd share.

Mike

6. Allow me to clarify: I like all of the tones that I have considered. Unfortunately, your blown speakers have not factored into the equation.

A few examples of set ups under consideration:

used 300+ watt head (swr, trace)
    Traynor YBA200
    Bag End 15's
    Aguilar GS112's
    Walkabout
    used M-2000

Fairly wide variety here...and no clear winner in my mind.

Mike

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Head:
    Kustom Groove 1200 Head
    Cab(s):
    212 Avatar Cabinet
    410 Neo Cabinet

The Neo is fairly light (65lbs) and with both of those at 4 ohms, you could pump up to 1200 watts through it...which is amazingly loud.

Granted, I doubt you'd need the 1200 watts, but head room is good

8. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I'm with you. Sure there are differences between the different tones you can get with different setups, but with quality gear you get quality tones. As an artist you may be able to work with any of the tones. I find that as a bass player I can take any quality setup and be very happy about its tone. However, I find that there are tones that work and tones that don't for each of my bands. Accordingly, I tailor my sound to work with the sounds of the musicians I play with.

As an analogy, as a visual artist I will use watercolor, acrylic, pencils, etc. However, if I am going to be doing a piece on canvas or wood panel, the pencils will probably not fit the vibe I'm going for.

If you are currently playing in a band, the determining factor may be how your sound fits into the band.

Good luck on your search. The good news is you really can't go wrong.

9. Thanks. Your first paragraph sums it up nicely. I played on a Crate BX160 (with a JBL, granted), back in the mid '90's. Two minutes of tweaking and I was there. I suppose the other side of my problem is that many may feel I've got no idea what "good" sounds like.

Mike