Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's only one Glorfindel...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nick g., Apr 14, 2004.

What's the best of Tolkien?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2004.
  1. The Silmarillion

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. The Hobbit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Fellowship of the Ring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Two Towers

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. The Return of the King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lord of the Rings, as a trilogy

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  7. Don't like 'em/ Don't read 'em

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN. :spit: :bag:

Okay, this is a little late to start, but I figured this is the best way to get results.

For my Honors Math class, I have to survey 25 people, doesn't matter who or how old, with two different polls.

This is the first. I need 25 votes by Thursday morning, at the latest.

Thanks for participating, if you will.

EDIT: Title changed, for attention.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Lord of the Rings as a trilogy gets my vote.

The Hobbit was a good intro for the series, but the trilogy was way better. I found the Fellowship real slow on its own, Two Towers was way more interesting and Return...excellent, but overall none of these books to me stands up well on its own.....but as a trilogy, to me it is the best I have ever read!

I've tried reading Te Silmarillion once....and found it very difficult! Need to try it again......

3. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yeah, The Silmarillion was definitely hard the first time around, but I only had a bare understanding of LOTR when I got through it the first time. It's got a lot of the best heroic Tolkien stories everybody loves, like with the fall of Fingolfin, and all the tragedies, like with Turin, and of course Beren and Luthien...

Anyway, you're life just isn't complete until you've at least read it all the way through once.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Silmarillion! One of the best books ever written, IMHO. Yeah, it was hard to get through, it took me 4 attempts. But once I made it all the way through, I became addicted to it. I reread it 3 or 4 times a year.