1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

There's red and there's red

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    It must have been a couple of years ago that I bought used medium Spiro E&A strings from another TB user, but never installed them (probably because I already had a couple of used sets in the drawer).

Just for the heck of it, I installed them last night. They sound & feel great! However, they sound a little darker, louder & punchier and feel a little looser than the other medium Spiros I've used on this bass.

This morning, I noticed that the red silk is darker than all the other Spiros in my drawer, and I was wondering if anybody could shed some more light on the subject, if the color difference meant anything. Are these strings much older? Is it just the color silk that Thomastik had on hand at the time?

If they are much older, that might explain the different tonal response.

I'm holding up another Spiro E next to it:
    reds.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Old formula spiros look like that. Depending on how long they were used they could be just dark. My G string on my German bass has the same different red cuz it’s older formula.

Selim likes this.
  3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Whatever they are, they sound great. Made me realize how much I'm missing by using the light gauge.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Is there an easily discernible difference in tone & response between old formula & new?

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think my G string is brighter than what I'm used to. Thats really all. And a little tighter. Maybe its s 3/4 version with a 4/4 EAD....

6. Well, formula is not exactly on the point. At some time their wire supplies changed something a bit. The formula to make them was unchanged, but since the material they used from that time on had changed the string had changed a bit too.

I have heard that the break in time of the new versions is a bit shorter.
    I once had the old version (4/4 medium on a 4/4 scale), did't play that much but at least weekly with the bow and it took at least half a year, maybe even closer to a year until they became acceptable to me (except for tension on a higher action than typical for Spiros).

7. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Whatever they are and whatever their age, I like them more than the new & old Spiros I have in my drawer. Rich Sound and they go deeper.