There's screwed, and then there's THIS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Woman claims she lost winning lottery ticket

AP 2004-01-06 05:55:45

SOUTH EUCLID, OHIO -- A Cleveland woman has told police she picked the winning numbers for the $162-million US Mega Millions lottery jackpot but lost the ticket before the drawing, according to a police report. Elecia Battle told police she dropped her purse as she left a food store last week after buying the ticket. She said she realized after the drawing last Tuesday that the ticket was missing.

The Ohio Lottery said the winning ticket was sold at the store.

After news of Battle's police report spread last night, several people wielding flashlights walked through snow and braved frigid temperatures to try to find the ticket in the store parking lot.

Police said information Battle knew about when the ticket was bought and how the numbers were picked make her story credible.

BTW, officials said that she has no legal standing if someone finds the ticket and claims the prize for themselves! :eek: She's offering a reward, so she'd better hope like hell that a "good" person finds it. What would YOU do?
  2. well i would return it and hope she would follow through with her promise to give a reward (which i would think would be big considering the amount she won)
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, I have no morals. I would keep the ticket!

It's mine, all mine!!!!
    With 162 million, I'll go buy a conscience.
    Finders keepers. :spit: ;)
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D :D
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My preeeeciouuuussssss...

brad cook
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, Euclid's about 20 minutes from here. Treasure hunt!
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

it's just up 75 from us, right?
  8. i think id give it back.

you only need somewhat of 5 million to live for a lifetime...
  9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    How can she prove that it was really hers? Did she report it stolen, with the numbers she picked, before the drawing? I highly doubt it. I think she's lying and trying to get a free ride. Just my $.02
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i agree somewhat with stubi....maybe she is hoping people will read her story, feel sorry for her, and give her some money.

however.....if it is true, and i stumbled across the winning ticket, i would cash it in and keep it.....stupidity should be painful, not rewarded.

11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

Trust me, I could spend 162 million. No problem!

Think about all the good things you could do with all that money. I'd give a ton of money to cancer & aids research. I'd be set for a lifetime, but I would make sure other people could have a longer lifetime too.

But I still would not give it back!! :spit:
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    We were just discussing this concept over lunch...this New Year's Eve, some guy tried to climb from a Holiday Inn's 10th story balcony to the 11th floor balcony. He fell & perished.

Nature's way of thinning the herd...
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you snooze, you looze - i want a Fodera!!
  14. This is true, but for you YOURSELF, you would only need around 5 mill, and you could buy plenty of really great things. Fill a big home, for maybe just over $1 mill.

put at least 1 or 2 in the bank - you'd be gaining interest like CRAZY!

this leaves you with say, 1.5 mill dollers to screw about with...

[edit] i also implyed that you would be giving money to charitys and scientific researches... (hence you win $10 mill, give 5 away...)
  15. I'd take 100 million...and give her 62.

She should be lucky she got that...

of course I'd donate a large some of the 100 mil to charities and groups and stuff due to the soft spot in my heart;)
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i'de give her like $100. and a nice car.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The problem is that $3 Million is a lot more than people see at once in their lifetime. The trick is that in order to hack out the the Tax isssue is to take the Lump Sum option. You get say, $1.5 instead of $3, but you only get taxed once, instead of on every installment.

Then, put it in a savings account with some sort of decent interest. 1% would be enough. 1% of 1.5 million is, what? $150,000? Even though it's taxed as income, that's still a heck of an annual income. And that's not putting it in good investment firms (Meryl Lynch, Putnam, ect.)

You won't be Uber Bling millionaire style, but you'd never have to work, or could work for fun.

Too many people just start spending. Buy a nice house, a $20,000 car, and call it a night on the big purchases. Treat it like a job, and put some away each year on a "retirement" and just don't go spending a huge block of it every year. Keep under that 150 K, and you'd still MAKE money off of it.

It's not hard to live off of even $1,000,000 for the rest of your life (not counting inflation, but I can't imagine $1,000,000 wouldn't keep ahead of the curve).

That's the simple plan. I don't know anything about investing and banking.

Livin good offa one lottery ain't hard, folks, just don't get dollar signs in your eyes.

(Has thought this over, many, many times. Daily. Hourly...but never played the lottery. Go figure.)
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the woman who made this initial claim was lying - the real woman has come forward already. i hope they prosecute her for filing a false report.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The lottery is a tax for people who are bad at math.

The honest thing to do, if you were put into this situation, would be to give the ticket to the rightful owner, with no hope of reward.

The charitable thing to do, if you were the owner of the ticket and it was given back to you, would be to reward the person who gave it back, with at least 10% of the winnings.
  20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yup, sounds like this woman was a scammer, how low.

The real winner presented her ticket, along with the sales receipt it was bought on, proving time and location of purchase.

Falsifying a police report is only punishable by $1000 fine, and 6 months in jail. Hopefully they can come up with some bigger charges, to sent an example of the greedy, fraudulent jerk.