Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There's some nitty-gritty stuck in my bridge...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basschair, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi folks,

First of all, this is my first official post (on the BG side) as a supporting member. I've been reading the site for a long time, but finally got off my butt and sent in some cash.

So, now that I've paid my due, I wanted to ask a few things. To begin with, I'm keeping my Thunderbass (from a post in my earlier, freeloading, "registered user" days :D ), and am going to send it back to the factory soon to have the electronics fixed. I was playing sans amp tonight, and was wondering how you all go about getting those unreachable bits of jibby-dust things out of those "hard-to-reach" places in your bridges...q-tips? Compressed air? Caring wife?

Next, on string spacing: I've been playing a 5 string Warwick bolt-on for the past year, and the 19mm spacing on the Pedulla just seems way too wide now. The Warwick seems pretty wide too, come to think of it. So, when I say "tight string spacing on a 6-string," what basses pop into your head?

Just Wednesday night curiousities. Again, pleased to make all of your acquaintances! :bassist:

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I usually use keyboard cleaning spray, ie: compressed air type stuff... works pretty well. I suppose pipe cleaners or tossing it in the dishwasher would do it also.

3. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I was cleaning the electronics in an old electric guitar with electonics cleaner, and thought, what the hell and sprayed the bridge down. I didnt cover the paint or anyting, and it took all the grime right off. In retrospect, I woulda taped it and sprayed the bridge down. It worked really well. I imagine some simplegreen and a rinse would do the same. The 3rd option I could think of would be a toothbrush ! you can clean all sorts of little spaces with a toothbrush, and some cleaner.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I keep compressed air handy as well, but typically use Q-Tips soaked with Naphtha. The soaking "binds" the threads so they don't get stuck and cause additional gunk, and naphtha is a great cleaner/degreaser that disolves fast and leaves no residue.

Ironically, Pedulla... only with the 17.5mm option. Getting one would certainly cut down on your "new bass" learning curve. ;)

The most obvious that comes to mind is Ibanez's SR-1006EFM, which to my knowledge is 16.5mm and a very nice bass in that price range. Certainly not Pedulla quality, but not many fall into that area in general. :D

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Would the naptha work on removing the layer of oil buildup on an ebony fingerboard as well?

That Ibanez is actually pretty sweet...though, I think the Warwick bolton 5 and 6 have the same spacing. Are there any that are tighter? I know that there is some given leeway with adjustable bridges, but I mean standard spacing.