There's this "F" I'm Thinking Of...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasabi1264, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm in the market for a BN5. There's an awesome cherry sunburst F at The Groove Shoppe (, but the price seems high. The initial price they gave me was $3400!! I just thought Fs were around the $2400 to $2500 range. I know this has some upgrades, like the block inlays, but is anyone familiar enough with F pricing to let me know what might be a good deal on this bass? It looks incredible, with a one piece ash body. However, I only paid a little under $3K for my MTD, so there's no way in heck I'd pay $400 more than that for an F...
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I'm not totally sure if that price is high or not as far as Fbasses go with custom features, but in general, I think that the grooveshoppe is a bit high on their prices. I do know that Fbass custom features are pricey. I believe to add 24 frets instead of 22 cost like $1000, so it's possible that the block inlays could push that prices up quite a bit. It's a nice bass though, but I wouldn't pay that price for it when it probobly will sound every bit as good as their standard models.
  3. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Exactly. In your experience, do all Fs sound pretty much amazing, or are some really head and shoulders? I'm not as worried about a beautiful figuring on the wood as I am about sound and weight. And block inlays don't do much for me.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Fs are on the used market for around $1600-$1900 all the time....

I emailed them about the used Elrick they had, and the price they offered was pretty steep for a used Elrick as well.
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've actually heard that, like every other maker, some are terrific and some are a bit lifeless. I think this might be especially symptomatic of ash basses -- some seem to resonate really well and some don't. YMMV.
  6. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    Hey Wasabi, I had the chance to play that one myself..its a great bass actually IMO. Beautiful too.
    Was $3400 the selling price or list price? :bassist:
  7. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    That was the selling price. I think I might be able to talk them down, but wanted to know what was reasonable. I don't want them to feel ripped off, but neither do I want to feel ripped off either!
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, for the most part, all Fbasses sound great. I'm on my second one now, and for whatever reason, this one sounds to me better than my first. My second has the vol/blend instead of vol/vol which for me is much better. I suppose that there are going to be differences from bass to bass because of the varience in wood, so I would say that it would be best to try some out and see which you like best. As far as weight goes, it's my experience that the basses are more on the heavier side than on the light side. The two that I have owned were heavy, and just about every one but one at the shops that have had them in stock have been on the heavier side as well. I've only played on that felt light in weight. My feeling is that if you're going to buy an Fbass bases on the sound, just get the basic Fbass without any custom features, and as someone pointed out, you can probobly find one in excellent condition used for 1600-1900.
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've played three or more F's and they all felt and sounded great. George Furlanetto definitely aims to please. My fretless was volume/blend which I liked but I know others prefer volume/volume.

Hey Wasabi, I know someone who offered to trade a cherry sunburst F for my fretless F. It has some wear, but it's a beauty. I almost took him up on it, but then fell for a Ritter. Let me know if you want me to write him and point out this thread or your email.

Edit: Oh yeah, I agree with everyone else that the price you were quoted is way high.

10. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, maybe I'll make them a substantially lower offer once I get a guideline price. I don't know how much block inlays actually add, as well as a burst finish, but if I can come up with a reasonable number, I may offer that.

As far as your friend's used F, I really want to either go new, or go with an excellent/mint F. There was a purple one on eBay, which I might have gone for, but it was a studio, and I don't want only 20 frets. Not enough upper register for me. ;-)

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I wonder how much it'd cost to get a fretless fitted with the standard fretted bridge...probably a nice chunk'o'change.
  12. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    There are two options on that particular bass that would raise the price, the first is the block inlays as mentioned before but the other that hasn't been mentioned was the one pc. body. The bodies are normally a two pc. Options on the F Basses are very expensive but I would still have to say it is way overpriced and is no way worth the money for the options.

F Bass has a minimum selling price for the dealers and I believe it to be 25% off retail price. Just for kicks, you should ask them how much a BN 5 would be without the above mentioned options. Personally, I'd call or e-mail Adrian at Access Bass, he is very fair and knows F Basses very well.
  13. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not a dealer.

However, the lowest dealer price is $2549.00 U.S. for a brand new standard F-Bass BN5.

This is after some extensive research.
  14. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I got the straight scoop from Dave at the Shoppe...The options are as follows: burst $250, 1 piece body $100, blocks $800(!). The burst and one piece I think are very worth it, but I can't imagine paying the price of a new Jazz bass for block inlays!!!
  15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    There is no magic "Groove Shoppe" premium built into the price of this bass. It is quite simply the list price of the instrument and options discounted at George's suggested rate. This bass just happens to have more options than you generally see on an F bass.

Also for the record, IMHO this bass is worth every penny. It is an absolute killer...
  16. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I know Joel is absolutely truthful about this, not to mention the service they provide...I just had no idea before the options were actually line itemed out for me what was causing the price to be high. If the bass were ordered anywhere with the blocks, they'd be that same price. I know other dealers can't discount really below George's suggestion, too. I absolutely don't mind paying a fair price, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from Groove Shoppe knowing David B as I do. I was just sticker shocked at the inlay price! I'm not sure why Fs options are so steep, but I'm sure people pay them. I was looking for a 24 fret BN5, but for $1000 for one extra whole step in range, it just doesn't seem worth it. Good bursts and certain pieces of wood do seem to be worth the money, at least to me. His finishes seem amazing, and a one piece ash body I would imagine would resonate really nicely.
  17. Hey, why don't you try Bass central,

Gard is a regular here, and there web sight show that they stock fbasses, weather they have what you are looking for in stock??? but well worth the call, 3400.00 seems high. Unless you really need those custom options, or just custom order what you really want.

Also try access bass they have one coming in soon. Adrian G is another regular on TB and sounds like a great guy to deal with.

Good luck with your quest, I'm going to Toronto in 3 weeks and want to drive over to see the fbass shop, who knows ?Bn6 anybody :D