Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theres's a ghost haunting my bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Phil Smith, May 3, 2004.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is something that I just discovered today. When I play G# on the A string of my bass, the open G string sounds as if I had plucked it i.e. when I play the G# the G string is activated, you can see it vibrate and it's totally repeatable resulting in the dissonance you would expect of G and G# sounded together. Anyone else experience this? Is my bass haunted? My room perhaps? :D

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's a pretty common place for the old 'wolf tone'. Does it 'fight you' or 'sound funny' when you play that note arco?

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Arco is fine, but the G string jumps as if I plucked it when I pluck the G# on the A.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sounds like you hit some sort of resonant frequency on the bass. Sometimes you can lessen the effect with wolf eliminators or other deadning techniques on the after string, using different gauge strings, etc, etc. I've also noticed that these wolf tones can also be affected by humidty and temperature (somewhat) and exaggerated by the room that you're playing in.

First thing that I'd do is have someone grab the after-string, one string at a time, and see if you can eliminate or effect it that way.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    While GHOSTBUSTERS makes some sense, it's much more probably that you're dealing with elfin ghosts. Look for nests on the sound post.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Nice try. Elfin ghosts, while they do usually nest on the sound post, are most often benign. Sounds more like Phil has Phantom Trolls, which can usually be found (.....wait for it.......) under the bridge.

PHAIL SAFE - let us know how the experiment with the afterlength goes. If there's something there, I may have a solution.