Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

These guys aren't playing by the rules!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by kiwiboy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Hey Michael
    Are there any guidelines you have on the use of altered, borrowed and general chromatic chords in a jazz context? Ive been looking through various contemporary compositions and reharmonisation is becoming a pain!!!!! what are these guys thinking? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    KiwiBoy,

Mike has inspired me to use some reharminization techniques in my arranging. I spent some time looking at books and searching the web. I found this website to be especially good.

http://www.malletjazz.com

I know that this website is aimed at jazz mallet players, but music is music. Most of the good music theory websites I find are not bass specific.

There is a list of online lessons you can check out. In the Jazz Theory section there are 3 reharminization lessons. Each lesson contains audio examples along with the standard notation. It is really nice to be able to hear what is displayed on the page.

Also, you can check out Mike Dimin's book, "The Chordal Approach". He has a 15 page section in chapter 1 called, "Chord Substitutions and Reharmonization Techniques". It's a great resource.

It can be purchased through http://www.michaeldimin.com

Enjoy,
    Joe

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That is a HUUUGGGGEEEE topic.
    What they are thinking about is to add harmonic interest, and the ability to create interesting melodies (solos) while keeping the basic function of the chord progression.

This topic is known as Functional Harmony. There are some great books on the subject. Probably the most comprehensive is Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book (sher publishing).

Remeber something. The "rules" are based on an analysis of what people are doing, not the other way around. Those techniques that work, get codified into "rules". Players are always looking in new directions to add spice and interest. Sometimes it works and, well, sometimes it doesn't

My book, The Chordal Approach is a good start, especially if you want to apply the techniques to the bass. For general theory I like the aforementioned Jazz Theory book.

Mike