1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

These Guys Ripped Off My Website!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Mar 22, 2006.

1. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I am rightly pissed! I was talking via email to a friend of mine today that also plays bass in another local cover band. We're talking back and forth about basses, band drama, etc. He then gives me his band's website address. I'm poking around on their home page when what do I find? My words, taken straight from the Bio that I wrote for my band, on his band's website!!! Now, he's not to blame as he doesn't do the website for his band. I told him about it and he said that his bandmate must have gotten it from a Google search or from a flyer that I sent out a few weeks ago about a gig! I told him that he better have the guy remove it!

Judge for yourself. Here's what I wrote:

Construction on Rocksville Highway began in late summer of 2005. After much hard work and many auditions, the Interstate of Rock was finally completed in early 2006. Designed and built by 5 Dallas-area musicians, Rocksville Highway is a spectacular roadway straight through the heart of downtown Rock & Roll. Bridging the span of decades from the early 70's all the way to some of today's hottest rock artists, Rocksville Highway is a band that guarantees that fans will have a great time: each song evokes memories long forgotten or good times still remembered. Playing with tremendous passion and a flurry of energy, the band leads listeners on a trip through the greatest hard rock hits of their lives. With a style that can best be described as full and punchy, Rocksville Highway's show will ensure that audiences get off of their seats and onto their feet.

Here's what's on their website (names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent):

XXX BAND performs an extensive and dynamic repertoire of classic rock and country tunes bridging the span of decades from the 60's through today, including dance rock, country rock, Motown, R&B, Blues and more.

Playing with tremendous passion and boundless energy, XXX BAND will deliver the music and added appeal needed to create excitement for any occasion. XXX BAND will carve a magical tour down memory lane, with songs from great artists like Smash Mouth, Tom Petty, Green Day, The Eagles, Third Eye Blind, Pat Benatar, Georgia Satellites, Gretchen Wilson, Eric Clapton, Journey, Lynard Skynyrd, Bad Company, Bob Seger, Tracy Chapman and Joe Walsh, just to name a few.

Each song will evoke memories long-forgotten, or good times still-remembered. XXX BAND is a band that guarantees that fans will have a great time with dynamic renditions of songs for all ages to your event. Our show ensure's true 'Headline Entertainment' that audiences everywhere will get off of their seats and onto their feet.

Now, I understand that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but DAMN! This is outright plagiarism and just kicks me in the nads!

So what would you do? I haven't "officially" copyrighted anything on my web site, but I have the statement "All material and images are copyright 2006 by Rocksville Highway."

Do I have any legal advantage or is it a matter of my word versus their word?

2. Did they steal some of your words? Maybe. Does it matter? Hell no. Bios all sound something like that, IMO. Try to find a classic rock cover band bio that doesn't talk about a bands 'passion' and 'energy', or connecting influences and bridging yesterday to today, or gets the crowd dancing and drinking, having a good time... good luck on that.

Skip the verbose prose and put the songlist and samples on the first page - that will tell people what they need to know.

3. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I appreciate that, however, did you read the two comparisons? He directly ripped off several exact phrases that I wrote. Imagine that you put time and effort into your job at work, and then one of your coworkers stole your work and claimed it as his own, only in this case, it's in the public eye.

The webmaster for his band is claiming innocence, and says that he wrote everything himself.

I know that I must have some legal grounds here....anyone have any experience directly related to this?

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Not only did they only copy a couple of sentences but nothing you had was rightfully copyrighted. They're in their complete right legal wise, and quite frankly, apart from a couple of stuff, the guy changed everything else. So he copied a couple of sentences because he thought they sounded good and defined what he thought, big deal. Get over yourself you're no Mark Twain..

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I suppose you could sue, but it looks like a waste of time. To be blunt, those are some pretty over-used phrases that you see in many descriptions of band that play songs from that era. He's changed it up enough that he can argue that he didn't directly steal your work.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Boy, you sure know how to "win friends and influence people"
    LOL, :)

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I wouldn't worry about it personally. It's pretty much a "band website cliche-fest". Look at it as a form of flattery.

8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    The man asked for opinions I gave him mine, I think hes makin a big deal out of nothing, point wasn't to make a new buddy, if he gets pissed off cause a couple of sentences hes written on his band's website get copied and sues for it, wheres the world going? Ask nicely the guy who copied them to remove them or change them, if he acts like its not his problem then next time you're standing on the scene let people know that, by the way, "xxx band" started copying our website's texts, be sure to go to their show maybe you'll hear our songs too, it'll make em bad publicity and you'll get a laugh out of it instead of getting pissed off for something, IMHO, silly...

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Man..you don't know how much this pains me to do, but I agree with Morf.

10. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Hehe, finally a victory for the french :D

11. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    VIVA

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

LOL!!!

13. Honestly, if you were a band doing original work and someone ripped off your identity in that way I would say you have a reason to be upset. But think of the irony of a cover band complaing that another cover band copied content. Is that not what cover bands do? Why should it be limited to the music they play? Why don't all cover bands, mine included, simply have a boiler-plate web site that pretty much says, "We play songs you know. We would like you to believe there is something unique and original about our product, however we don't want to mislead you. We play covers and covers are songs that other people wrote - and we play them - for money."

I mean if cover bands, and I am in one, start complaining about plagiarism, does that not open a can of worms that is best left unopened?

My tongue is firmly implanted in my cheek right now - please do not take this, or the fact that your copy was copied too seriously.

--tz

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    It depends. Did someone else already open the can of worms, or would this be an original opening? :D

15. Man, there are worms all over the place here! LOL

16. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Frisco B.A.

This is certainly an unfortunate situation,i think you
    should just make an addition to your bio;something like,

Although our bio has been copied by others
    we remain the original rockin' Rocksville Highway

my .02

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I can't help but ask "so what?" I had to reread it a few times to see what they copied, even though you had italicized it. The two bio's don't even read the same. It'd be one thing if they ripped off your whole "My band is like a freeway!" thing, but they didn't. Sure, i guess it's annoying, but I think you're overreacting.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This is a brilliant post!

19. You made my day! :D

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I think you're all missing the point. What he's saying is that the hamster was in the backseat the whole time.