Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

These kids are ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Feb 14, 2002.

1. So at my school we have "open studyhall" in teh cafeteria, and there's a little PA system with radio and CD-Player. So today I brought in my new Marcus Miller CD which happens to be "Live and More". Upon putting it on I heard comments like "this sucks", "what the hell are we listening to?", "Ewww, is this JAZZ!?", and "this sounds like the crap they play at bucks games...these guys suck."

I don't get it. Someone puts on creed or the local rap station and 99% of the population gives a sigh of relief...what's the deal. People don't have an open mind about anyhting. I think the one that shocked me the most was "Eww...is this JAZZ!?!?!". SO this person could love a "jazz song", but upon finding out it's jazz, they would hate it. I can't understand why someone would have such a preconcieved idea about a certain type of music....

Oh well, just wondering how oyu guys feel, what your thoughts are, if you've encountered this, or if you really like this cd....

Peace
    Graham

2. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    To put it bluntly, people are idiots.

When I was in high school, I listened to my granny's old Robert Goulet and Andy Williams records, and no, I'm not 65 years old, Im in my 20s. hehe.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good CD. I have difficulty telling Marcus' drum programming and Poogie Bell's live drums apart.

4. I used to be like that, "Eew, is that Jazz" and "Put Creed (or whatever) back on". Not that long ago either. But then I started playing the bass. Since then I've started listening to everything I can get my hands on. I dug through my dad's vinil collection and found some amazing records. Of course my 14 year old sister thinks I'm an idiot, but that doesn't concern me much.

And remember,
    fólk er fífl. :)

5. Jazz is Jazz, and what makes 'it' Jazz is the fact that many people simply don't get it, and whats more, for the most part what people don't get they don't like - unfourtunatly that goes for more than just music!

Keep it up ... :D

6. Donne....I have to disagree. Their music is by no means only for musicians, I just think that people have a harder time appreciating more intricate music if they do not play an instrument themselves, but agian there are always exceptions....

(Oh, and who says oyu can't SHAKE YOUR BOOTY TO SOME VIC WOOTEN???)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Oh well, you can always look at things this way, who do you think's still going to be making music 20 years from now? Marcus Miller, or the bands on the modern rock station. (Most) Musician's taste are going to be more electic than that of their peers'. I remember getting crap from my friends who listen to all this Nu-metal when I would listen to "Dinosaur" music like Led Zepplin. Of course, I still know when to play what. When I have a bunch of friends in my car, I don't stick my George Benson or Robben Ford cd in.

I guess being a musicians makes you appreciate music a lot more. (As snobbish as it is to say, I can never have a same level conversation about music with a non-musician) I even appreciate music and musicians that I'm not a big fan of, cause I know how hard you have to work to play music.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    About 90% of the kids at my school listen to rap,mainly its because what everyone else does.Majority of people at school youll see just follow the crowd.It's everywhere.

They usually never learn to appreciate any other type of music because none of their friends like it.
    I used to dislike jazz,but once I heard some more jazz i started to like it.It's good stuff.

Get used to it.It is quite ridicoulous,but majority of people are always just going to "follow the crowd".

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    marcus miller was pretty successful at entertaining non-musicians with david sanborn.

10. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    GunniTh sums up my story. I hate "The crowd".
    Old stuff is good. But new stuff (my opinion) is better, but that also depends what "new stuff"
    Victor wooten is godly. In my eyes.

11. true. if everyone liked it, it just wouldn't be jazz. :)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can't stand jazz, but I'd rather it than Rap or Creed, that's for sure.

13. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    nothing wrong with jazz, plenty wrong with nu-metal...

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.......

O well, it could be alot worse. Think if pop, and image took over jazz like it did to rock. Atleast this way jazz can stay untainted.

Any Mingus fans out there?

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The saddest thing is about half the kids at my school think my DB is a cello. How stupid can you be? A bass is a about twice the size! I live in an uncultured wasteland.

16. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    BTW, kinda unrelated but I just went to a masters class by Mike Metheny (Pats brother) last weekend! It was pretty cool.

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's not just non-musicians that have closed minds. I would get so upset at my ex-bandmates, because their tastes (in my opinion) were so narrow and limited. They used to give me a hard time all the time, because I listened to stuff from Metallica and Megadeth, to Chris Isaak, Prince, Michael Jackson, Parliament and The Digital Underground. They'd call me all sorts of names and ask me how a guy that's such a huge GWAR fan, can also be a Michael Jackson fan. My reply always seemed to shut them up though -- "Yeah, I'm a p***y cuz I like all kinds of music :rolleyes:."

There's more to life than what you're currently listening to.

EDIT: I couldn't believe that I had to tell my guitarist that "Blue Monday" was actually written by New Order and not Orgy!

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hategear (besides Saddam A Go-Go being my current song obssesion) I think that a good appreciation of all forms of music is critical. Liking, not so much, but appreciation, and seeing why people devote their lives to the music, is.

I'd bust out on the Jazz in a moment if someone said it was stupid, or was for wimps, even though I'm not a fan of it.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1) Try to let kids be kids. When they say "jazz sucks!", what they really mean is "I don't like jazz". Granted it's annoying, but it's only inexcusable for adults to make such comments (about any form of music). Maybe the kids will grow to like jazz, or maybe they won't. But it doesn't matter either way, because...

2) ...there's no rule that says intelligent/mature people have to like jazz. There's nothing wrong with anyone who doesn't. (FWIW I like a lot of jazz, but it isn't my fave thing).

3) Try not to make assumptions about why someone likes pop music. Maybe they aren't following the crowd. Maybe they really do like Creed. The bandwagon has to start somewhere... ;)

20. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    That's how I feel about Mahalia Jackson.
    I listen to her and think,"how could anyone not dig this?",but most probably wouldn't.