1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

They are being taken off my board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Well the last on my Boss EQ and my Keeley bassist. I have worked with them and, went to Boss and Keeley and asked questions. i have decided dear friends they are just not my cup of tea. Anyway they are going be taken off my board. When i get rid of them I might try LPF , HPF pedal I saw can't remember the name but it started with B, But with the other pedals like a guy said here on Talkbass I can almost do as good with the EQ of my Markbass 151p my personal amp, and the SWR 350 head at church, and for the people that have ask I only use Flatwound strings. Now i just got to figure out which LPF and HPF pedal to try. And thanks you all for helping and listening to me ramble on. I am the fat guy Haha with the Lakland bass. I am setting cause I twisted my ankle. DSC_0033-2-768x512.

2. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
  3. Okay guys i am sorry about my rambling, but I am not on my epilepsy meds now. Even though I haven't had a seizure in a long time I still have to take some heavy duty meds, so please forgive. Now which of these pedals will give me more low end. I like the size and they take up less room. Thanks 4b9583_d7e4c76b8833496aa18303b57ca6419c~mv2. 4b9583_fca35bff66dd4c1491597609832eadd9~mv2.

4. neither will give you more of anything. They both take away frequencies and don’t add anything. HPF takes away lows and LPF takes away the highs.

I think you just need to turn up the bass knob on your amp and sell all your pedals. At least try a gig without any pedals before buying more.

5. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Neither will give you "more low end". the High Pass Filter filters out the low frequencies, i.e. rolls off the very low end depending on where you set it. The High Pass Filter filters out the very high frequencies.

An HPF eliminates the sub lows that cause muddiness, eat up amplifier power and cause speakers to over-exert themselves (particularly ported cabs). A common technique is to use an HPF and then also boost your bass tone controls, giving you more low end but a tamer (kinder, gentler:)) low end. Kind of counter-intuitive. Josh also makes a combo HPF & LPF. Personally I like his Messenger preamp that has the same filters in it.

6. Also, your mark bass and most likely the SWR redhead (depending on the year it was built) already have some kind of high pass filters built in.

I’ll ask the same questions we asked you before to try and give you a good answer; WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACHIEVE WITH PEDALS THAT YOU AREN’T ACHIEVING WITH JUST THE AMP AND BASS?

PiecesOfQuiet and Frank77 like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.
    FWIW: i've never been impressed with compressors of the pedal type, or even the ones built into many amp heads, IME: they 'steal' from the signal. when i use compression = i'm using a racked audio-grade piece. per the boss EQ: also not my cup of tea, but lots of folks depend on them.

i sit in order not to twist my ankle. :laugh:

BassikBrad and gary mitchell like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You should get a Diamond Bass Comp Jr.

foal30 likes this.
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It's awesome that you're trying pedals and looking for something to make your sound better. It's possible you could be better off with no pedals, sure, or you just didn't try the right ones yet.

HPFs in our world are generally used for:
    - removing the frequencies that are too low for our cabinets to reproduce, so that the watts aren't wasted trying to make them happen - resulting in a side effect of a little more power available where you can use it, and/or
    - removing the frequencies that are audible but undesirable because of being too resonant in the space (I have to imagine churches and big halls can get crazy with low resonance)

LPFs are used in the opposite way, taking off sibilant highs.

EQ *can* be used to help, but generally won't go way down to HPF settings.

Compressors come in so many different flavors that you could get the punch you're looking for from one of those if you felt like looking; if you didn't like the Keeley then that is one popular choice that is off the table for you, helps you steer in the future: "Is it the same type as a Keeley Bassist? If so, I'll pass."

The question is only answerable by you, ultimately: What are you looking for in your sound?

Bassist4Eris and gary mitchell like this.
  10. This really needs to be answered to obtain any good advice.

Spidey2112 and Element Zero like this.
  11. I want a nice low end with out getting muddy, the bass player for my grandsons band. he tried to tell me i just needs a good Octave pedal.

12. Thank you

13. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Then skip the pedals and just get a Greenboy/Fearless F212, and your mud will be a thing of the past.

MTN.bass72 and interp like this.
  14. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    Darkglass Hyper Luminal has a HPF. You have to configure it through the software.

15. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Have to say I've recently revisited big drivers (15" / 18") again and am pleasantly surprised how good they sound compared to my 4 X 10 cabs. If you have access to a 15" based cab, give it a whirl without any other pedals / effects and see if it moves you closer to what you want. As stated previously, you haven't indicated what your goal is so all advice presented is a guess that might help you.

Also - and don't take this the wrong way. I see your Lackie has Chi-Sonics. I had a Lakland bass with those and I hated them. You may want to try a different bass with a different pickup configuration to see if it may work better for you. I'm a huge Nordstrand BC fan (Big Single / Big Split) but traditional P-Bass and J-Bass configurations are quite popular, are great sounding, and are easy to shape. I'm not saying buy a new bass. I'm saying try a different one if possible to see if it will help achieve the sonic goal you are looking for. Also - if your Lackie is active make sure you aren't pitting the on-board shaping against other downstream shaping components. It can make a horrid mess if you lose control of too many shaping tools. If possible make the bass passive / flat and shape with the amp exclusively to start.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's only in the side chain though. Not in the signal chain.

monsterthompson likes this.
  17. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Indeed, there’s much to be said for using a cab that delivers clean low end. I run Greenboy Fearless F112’s but I still use a Broughton HPF. I feel like it gives me a bit more ability to shape that low end the way I like it.

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is maybe the worst possible advice you could get. If you couldn't make a simple EQ work, you'll never get an octave pedal to work for you. If anything, an octave pedal will make everything muddier.

Veldar, Ronzo, SLO Surfer and 8 others like this.
  19. I think we could come up with worse though.

MartinB, Veldar, SLO Surfer and 3 others like this.
  20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Before buying anything else, I think it best to follow the fellow TBer who recommended getting FIRST a good sound with just amp and bass. If that doesnt sound good, pedals are only going to amplify your problem. Sitting down with the church's soundman (or whoever controls the knobs is another good idea. Buying pedals is most probably not at this point, but maybe down the road, once you have the sound you like.7

If you absolutely still have to go the pedal way, Broughton makes a high and low pass filter pedal. I have no experience with this pedal, but I have used an fDeck HP-3 in the past, but it's not on my board at this time. I just don't need it for now.

Best of luck.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/low-high-pass-filter