1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

They are being taken off my board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM.

1. I am not going to get an Octave pedal, so far it s just going to be my tuner and a little delay set like a reverb sort of, and the eq on the amp. and both my fender jazz and lakland have flatwounds on them. Until i get the money for a B for a filter. And I sure can't afford right now a Green boy cab. i might get a filter after I get rid of the keeley Bassist and boss eq. we will see.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Avoid the reverb/delay. It can very easily just muddy everything up.

3. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    @gary mitchell .. ^^^^ I second this ^^^
    Except an F112 will be more than sufficient for your church gig. I never got a chance to use mine for service, because we all ran direct, but it's an amazing cab.. an will put out lots more than its size dictates...
    20190306_073752.

gary mitchell likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think you mean the low pass filter is what attenuates the highs.

5. I would just try some different settings on what you already have.
    Also, keep in mind that it’s possible you may just not have the right bass.
    Ime I always try to get the bass and amp to have the sound I want first. Then I can throw effects on top if I want or leave them off if I don’t.

6. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    IMHO, you don't need a hi-pass filter to get rid of mud. I associate mud with low frequencies, but not the lowest. Don't waste your money on a gear that you don't know what it really does.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM
    SLO Surfer, ccouch7 and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. THIS

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. The ”VLE” knob on your Markbass amp IS a variable low pass filter. The Broughton LPF is very close to it soundwise. Try turning the VLE-knob to about 2:00-3:00 for mellow creamy-ness.

9. Before I got rid of your Keeley I would get rid of all the other pedals and try amp only then only add the compressor back. I have found I never use other pedals in the church worship environment. Keeping it simple and dialing back to minimum gear may work for you.

10. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Right, thanks for the edit

11. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I find that on the Keely to me it is better with light compression that is barely noticeable, it will go to very heavy compression that may not work well in a live setting, especially if you are not happy with the rest of your tone. So yes I would keep it, dial the compression and especially threshold back, get rid of everything else and work on your tone from there.

MynameisMe likes this.
  12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    a Meatbox he needs a Meatbox. (nope)

SLO Surfer and HelpImaRock like this.
  13. Hilarity ensues...

jthisdell likes this.
  14. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Yes, for my fill in acoustic church gig I run a very simple board, Radial pre, EBS multi comp and the DI is off the first in chain pre. Very simple very clean. Now for my Dead band that is a different board..

15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Whoa, hold on there...

Before you dump the Keeley, try it with the compressor gate (probably calling the wrong thing) open. Set the middle knob to where the Keeley “clamps down” on nothing. Then play with the gain on the right. Start at straight up and then (I mean) barely nudge it to the +side. In this capacity, it’s effectively just a clean boost. - if you don’t like that, then yea, probably not the pedal for you. If that goes well, try setting compression pretty low 4-ish tops. And then fix the middle knob to where the compressor doesn’t kick in unless you dig in. - for me, that’s where the Keeley really shines; in the capacity of a clean boost with a little compression added if you need.

As for the HPF, yes, you could benefit from an HPF. They improve the mechanical efficiency of a speaker by dialing out the frequencies that are purely not useable. A bass. An often times produce a lower freq than the speaker itself can produce. So, that’s what that is for. A HPF doesn’t really have EQ value apart from what’s stated above. Not that that is a bad thing. I have one and it is in my opinion an essential piece of gear. I play a 5 and the low b sound terrible until you dial out the Uber-low garbage freq.

It’s a subtle difference, but worth it. I have the red one Broughton makes. It’s got the HPF and LPF together. I LPF-out the extraneous string noise, and HPF to where the bass speaker doesn’t sound like it’s laboring, and done. - My one complaint is that the light on that pedal is white and bright as 100 suns. If you have josh make you one, maybe ask for a different pilot light. I got mine second hand and there is blue masking tape on the light that’s on mine, which works well.

16. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    My friend,

Having played in many churches before, I have a hunch that the delay (even done as a reverb) you have going on isnt mixing well with the room. I'd suggest nixing it for a test to see if that clears it up.

A lot of the time churches weren't built for amplified instruments*...so you can get a lot of mud really easily. You really have to alter your EQ once in the room to try to find those frequencies that are reacting weird. I'd personally keep your EQ, set everything flat and let the sound guy tweak while you're playing to find your settings that work for the room.

I personally have added a multifx pedal mainly for the use of saving multiple EQ for the different churches I play in (taking a picture also helps) so I can pull it right up depending on which one I'm at. Not that this is a "buy another pedal" sufgestion; it's a let the sound guy have his way with it and make it sit right suggestion =)

Additionally, in your picture I see two wedge monitors, your bass amp, and your guitarists amp as a monitor. There is a possibility that you're getting blasted with everything (especially if the guitarists amp is cranked) and the stage volume is making everything gross and muddy.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM
  17. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    You definitely need to start from scratch to get a good tone. I found this pic of your pedal board, and if you're setting your amp's eq in this same way, it's no wonder you're unhappy with your sound. Learn what your eq points do for your sound.
    IMG_20190708_044601832.

HelpImaRock and joshmmorrison like this.
  18. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    The 1st picture looks like a fun gig :roflmao:

jthisdell and gary mitchell like this.
  19. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    That's probably it right there.

HelpImaRock likes this.
  20. Then you really should
    and
    Look at your guitarists amp settings too, if his bass knob is turned up more than 50% then you need to ask him to cut his lows. I’ll bet his amp is set to his bedroom or living room acoustics with lots of lows. It’ll sound great alone at home, but it will clash with your bass and make everything sound muddy on stage.

Get a good sound without any pedals first!!! Try a few gigs without them!!!

gary mitchell likes this.