1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

They ARE special aern't they

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drunk Heffalump, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Hey
    More of a quick straw poll and observation:

Singers/vocalists in my neck of the woods seem to be for the most part either off their meds or desperately in need of some. If they're not bi polar paranoid defensive, classic case, then they're a narcissistic maniacal megalomaniac who can't be reasoned with using a primal concrete sledge and a handful of Chlorprothixene.
    However the one key thing that we've noticed over the last little while is that NONE of these individuals have a job, now, in the past or the very near future. It's almost as if HR personnel are trained to identify those spastic little quirks that indicate 'SINGER' and out comes the big rubber stamp that they hit Homer with.
    So, how's the vox types in YOUR little half acre of hell? Safe? Sane? Employed gainfully? So as an example being a Keebler Cookie Elf or a backstop at the local rifle range doesn't count! Would you let them babysit the kids? Loan them something of value? Let them navigate the streets alone at night? Have you ever resorted to sticking their picture on the side of milk cartons when they've fallen off of planet doom?

Maybe it's just us........... NOT

:D

2. most i have come into contact with have been a bit insecure and unmotivated. seems to me like you would need to be pretty confident to front a band........what do i know?!

3. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    The lead singer in Belle Noire is employed full time 50+ hours a week, married with a one year old daughter and still writing all the songs both instrumentally and vocally and getting us gigs. So I'd have to say I have no clue what you're talking about.

4. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Eh, sometimes the singer's crazy. Sometimes the guitarist, bassist, drummer, etc.

5. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Every band can't have a frontman as stable as Ozzy was for Black Sabbath.

X8

6. Musicians and artists, IME, are often nuts. I gravitate toward the entertaining ones. :cool:

7. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Once, I jammed with a woman who claimed she could sing. She wrote up an impressive-sounding intro in her ad and how she has had training in various genres, so I was expecting at least someone who could a tune. WRONG. She had a horrid voice. I don't know what sort of training she received, but it was bad.

I find a lot of the vocalists around my area tend to over-estimate their ability. Not all of them are bad, but some act as though they are God's gift to music. It doesn't help that a lot of bands are needing vocalists and there's only so many good ones around.

That being said, I'm the vocalist in my band but vocals isn't the main thing I do ;)

8. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    W.C. knew what was up with entertainers. Just substitute male or female singer for actor and actress:

"Show me a great actor and I'll show you a lousy husband. Show me a great actress, and you've seen the devil."
    W. C. Fields

9. +1 When I'm around quirky people, I feel normal. :)

10. I've never played with a band or group that had a dedicated vocalist so I can't say I've had the "pleasure".

The band I am in now used to have a dedicated female vox and they all said it was a horror show as far as personality.

I suppose it's like anything, or anyone, else. You get good and bad with any player. Depends on the person.

Now if we were talking about lead guitarists......

Don't get me started.......:D

11. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Last 4 vocalists I've played with did not have jobs. They relied on their better halves (or not so better) to support them (male and female).

The better they were at singing, the more likely they were to flake out or act out. That said, we were able to reign them in so-to-speak and fulfill our gig obligations. Even though one girl actually left the stage during second set and never came back. That's karaoke singers for you.

Actually, our bass player was a little "off" too :ninja:

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Our main male lead singer is a control freak, OCD, combative, irritable, annoying, and almost impossible to live with.*

*I am our main male lead singer.

13. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    The singer I played behind for 25+ years is chief pilot for a major ag firm and has a busy pro audio business. The lead singer with my church group is a fast food franchisee with 10 restaurants. If they could only DIRECT their efforts they could amount to something...

14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The official medical term is LSD (Lead Singer's Disease)
    According to the CDC, 78% of all lead vocalists suffer from this common affliction.
    More prevalent in males, the female vocalist is less prone to this condition, but recent studies do show an increasing rate among this group.
    There is currently no known cure...

15. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Not always - the two female lead singers in my band are both stable, mature, pleasant people. One is an accountant with her own business, the other a cancer-researcher working on her PHD. Neither is a diva.

And although both are very attractive, I'm pretty sure neither would want to be referred to as a "hot singer babe" as in another thread. :)

16. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Your two female singers fall into the 22% considered "un-afflicted" by this strange mental phenomenon.
    Consider yourself fortunate...(tounge firmly in cheek of course)

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think the issues you describe are common among creative artist types including musicians. I've seen my share of whacked out bass players too.

18. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    HAHA!

I've had a few crazy singers. Crazy guitar players too.
    In my experience the drummer is normally a little more sane than the others but it's really so subjective. Here's my sterotypical list of band members. Keep in mind their are many subspecies of each but this is the baseline archetypical model. Read it my bass brothers and sisters.

Singers/ Quiet at times,but always want it their way. They have no problem being passive aggressive either. They'll sneak all their songs onto a set list before you know it.
    What makes this worse is that when they know you're a huge fan of a particular band they'll agree to do one of their songs but it's always ends up being the "ONE" you absolutley despise.

Guitar players/ Always know every chord though in every song their's always one or two their playing wrong and they try to pawn this problem off on the bass player because they can't possibly be wrong. They always know the bass line as well (or think they do) but anytime the bass in a song goes a little off the norm it's suddenly the biggest most crazy bass fill of all time and they stop with the stumped look on their face and say, "
    Man I don't know what he's doin their!" This is when you show them. Don't say anything. Just play the damn part. I dare you. They'll insist something is still off until they figure it out with their six string.
    They love playing the same short licks very loud and over and over.
    If their is a song with a part whether an intro breakdown or ending where the guitar is suppose to drop out and the bass does something cool they insist in their own mind they must play something their to liven things up,but god,heaven,lord forbid the bass player does the same thing!
    Though I can't prove it,i'm certain their is some theory book,or guitar book filled with legend and lore that strictly forbids the guitar player from letting the bass player do this. I've yet to find this book but i'm certain it comes with every purchase of a jackson guitar.

The drummer. The drummer is the trickster. he'll come by and jam but once you start practicing at the drummers house be warned. They'll turn anal retentive very quickly. Bring your own water because they'll tell you their's a hose out back if you get thirsty.

The bass player. The bassist is the uninvited stranger of the group. You're never sure how long they'll stick around but when their gone it's as if they vanished. More times than not they've found a better gig but the others haven't the slightest clue.

19. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    My bandleader is a pretty sweet girl. The worst that'll happen is she'll make a change to the setlist on the fly, but as it's all songs we already know, I hardly consider it a problem. Sometimes the pay could be better, but I find that's a problem in basically all bands, so I don't put it down to her.

20. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Life's too short to play with people who haven't got their act together.
    The challenges of gigging and recording don't leave room for personal issues.