1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

They found Schindler's actual list today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WickedPissah, Apr 6, 2009.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
  2. Trippy. Wonder what they'll do with it now.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Eat it.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool. That's a remarkable document, to say the least.

5. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    That's pretty damn cool, i hope nothing stupid happens to it...

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Oh wow..

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Mail out some christmas cards.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's extremely cool. Schindler's story shows that heroism can be found in any of us.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thomas Keneally was my writing professor. He told me that the Schindler, in his opinion, was kind of a hero by default. He saw an opportunity for cheap labor for his factories. Saving the lives of those who made the list was kind of a means to an end. Hollywood took his story and made it less ambiguous and turned him into a hero. Just an interesting tidbit.

10. Party's over folks

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yeah but there were so many other factory supervisors who didn't keep their workers alive or took any care of them... So I kinda disagree with your teacher. IMO there is a very good chance that if he was any more of a "hero", we wouldn't even known who he was, besides having him on a list of 14million who died in the camps. At least that's a very good possibility.

I am not a huge fan of that movie either, but I think his story kind of shows that even small things in crisis counts.

When I TAed a class on Concentration camps (it was a seminar class) teacher i TAed for used to do this, basically making people put themselves into shoes of the people who were guards or any kind of workers in the camps. It's kinda hard to realize that even though you think that what is going on is wrong any alternative or hero action will very possible result in your death with nothing accomplished. Sadly, I personally don't know if i was born in that world (note that we'd be thinking much different if we were) if i would even do what Schindler did. I'd like to think so, but I don't know.

12. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. I guess it's really a matter of perspective. The bottom line is, no matter how you look at it, he saved all those lives despite his true motives. You can't fault him for that.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's an elevator company by the name of Schindler... I get a chuckle whenever I'm in one of Schindler's lifts.

http://www.schindler.com/

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yeah

Hmmm, on other hand though, I think having your workers die daily can be expensive as you have to retrain them and dispose of their remains. I think that was one of the failures of Nazi Germany, way too much money went on poor trained labor that dies on daily bases and disposal of humans. So maybe your teacher was right and he was just trying to run a more efficient business. Because Nazi Germany was not efficient at all IMO. So I think I can see where your teacher was coming from.

Is it weird that this subject fascinates me? Heh

15. And they are shipping Demianiuk (spelling?) for his trial.

I love the Spielberg's movie, although it's not as good as The Pianist.

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Not weird. We would meet to discuss my writing, but most of the beers we drank we were talking about this exact thing. I think a part of him needed to get all that research out of his head.

17. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    i'm actually going to buy a hat for the purpose of taking off to you sir!

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ill second that.

19. It isn't the whole list, only about three quarters of it.

lowsound

20. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    My family actually had a factory during WW2 and when our country was invaded by the Germans they basically had 2 choices; they could either cooperate with the nazi's and keep the factory or have them take over the factory and get rid of all employees and such.
    They chose to work for the Germans (and not only joined NSB but also the SS) so the factory went on producing ammunition cases and such for them.
    It's weird, because it's been over 60 years ago, but my uncle still 'hides' his last name when he's working for someone that's old enough to have knowingly lived through WW2 (He still lives and works in the city where my family used to live during WW2 and my family's involvement with the nazi's weren't that much of a secret)..