They got me (or "The merits of insuring your gear")

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by smarvelous, Oct 4, 2004.

1. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    *** 10/12/04 ***

Good news! It looks like they will be sending a check tomorrow (minus the $100 deductible) which I can spend as I like (though I intend to replace my gear). I think MusicPro did a fine job. Some chronology for those who are interested in how this worked...

Saturday 10/2 (1am) break in discovered. The police report was filed in the afternoon of 10/2 at the police station. I sent an email to the insurance co. on monday 10/4. They emailed me back with what the claim needed to contain that same day. They needed the police report # and police phone #, a description of what happened and what was lost and quotes from a retailer for how much replacement cost would be.

Tuesday 10/5 I sent the claim by email.
    Tuesday 10/12 I get a phone call that the check would be sent the next day (they said I could send the actual police report to them once the police had processed it, which is a nice accomodation considering it may take some time for them to finish the paperwork). One week, not bad!

There was one problem: When I listed the items being insured several months ago, I did not include shipping costs in my replacement values plus I specified the price I paid for them, which was discounted. I should have made the values more conservative and included the shipping costs because those original estimates are what the insurance company is paying NOT the quotes which I just received. The quotes (which were on the high side) are used, presumably to make sure they aren't paying out too much. The difference we're talking about here is not big, so no big deal, I'll just make sure to make more conservative estimates next time.

This insurance covers theft from your car (as well as from the venue, rehearsal hall, your home, etc.) with two important exceptions:

1. The gear must be concealed and locked in your trunk (they can't be visible and the compartment they're in must be locked)

2. You are *not* covered if the break in happens to a car parked overnight. I discovered my break in at 1am (I was going to the car to bring the gear inside), so I was covered but beware: don't think that you can leave your gear in your trunk overnight in a shady neighborhood just because you have insurance. If the insurance co. can prove that you were negligent in this regard, they may not cover you.

Disclaimer: I give no guarantees that the info I provide is totally accurate, or your experience will be the same, I just thought it would be useful for some.

***Original Message***

All my EA stuff was stolen out of my trunk this weekend after a rehearsal. Fortunately I have insurance MusicPro $100/year for $10,000 worth of gear, $100 deductible. The iamp500, 2 wizzy's and my raxxac foldable hand cart (how convenient) were taken. The gear was locked in the trunk, but I guess the guys had a hunch there might be something good in there (more likely, they saw me walking away from the car with a bass) It was in Hayes Valley, in San Francisco.

I feel good that:

A. I made the choice to get insurance several months ago.
    B. I carried my bass and accesories bag with me, so they are safe.

Hopefully I'll get this stuff replaced soon, we'll see how well the insurance co handles this. In the meantime I'm lucky to have a backup amp, an SWR WM15. I'll never leave my basses in my trunk, EVER. At least this stuff is replacable.

Oh yeah, PS: It just occured to me, talkbass is incredible! I wouldn't have known about musicpro insurance or for that matter EA gear, if it weren't for this site (I suppose the story would have read "He had a bunch of crappy gear stolen and he had no insurance...loser!").

Thank you all for contributing your knowledge and making this place possible!
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its great that you had insurace. This means you've just really been inconvenienced by the theft, rather than totally screwed by it.

Good stuff.
  3. Keep us updated. I'm not really gigging right now so I don't have insurance but plan on getting some in a few months. It would be nice to know how easy/hard the process is in getting your stuff replaced.
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm gonna have to insure my rig when it's complete. It'll only be worth $2250ish but that's irreplaceable to me right now as I'm somewhat disabled.
  5. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I've updated the first post. They're sending the check! (10/13/04)
  6. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    how much will the check be for?
  7. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    When I started the policy, I submitted a list for all the items I wanted covered and the replacement cost for each item. So I am getting a check for the replacement costs I specified for the four items stolen, minus $100 for the deductible, that's $1750. I wish I had set the replacements costs more liberally, because some of the items were actually slightly more when shipping and inflation was added. But I'm glad I'm mostly covered.