Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

They like the Bongo on Harmony Central...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Wow, that bass looks wicked! I gotta try one of em 5ers out sometime! Looks like it would play really nicely.

2. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm sure it sounds great and all that, but that shape...sorry, but to me it looks like a toilet seat lid!!!

Tell me it doesn't!

3. Wow...now thats funny! Still, it looks really sweet...and it would be the ideal bass to play while on the toilet! ;) LoL

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    eh?

5. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I knew it reminded me of something - just couldn't place it!

I'm not convinced, and I normally frequent HC:eek:

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    hahahahahaha

7. It IS an EBMM bass, so it must sound good. But as most people have said, it's damn ugly. My only question is how the hell did they make such an ugly bass? BMW should stick to cars.

8. i kinda like it....it's unique
    :)

9. Just because something is unique doesn't make it worthwhile. I could make a unique bass too. Doesn't mean I would ever want to play it. ;)

10. this kinda design always blows my mind. is there really a market for something so... so... so odd??? i have a feeling the design team will have some openings at Ernie Ball :p

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's word for word what people said when Fender came out with his Pbass.
    The Bongo is an amazing piece of design and also the only instrument with an ounce of originality made by a big brand for a loonng while.
    I really like it and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a classic.

12. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yah...like Danelectro Longhorns or those Flintstone-looking pentagonal-bodied Vox basses, or even the Gene Simmons Axe bass? Are those "classics?" I really don't think so. Odd footnotes, perhaps.

To me, a classic design is one that was a landmark, something that changed the way people think about design. The Fender bass truly was a classic, as was the Les Paul. How many designs last that long essentially unchanged?

SOMEBODY'S always going to like the weird stuff. But this isn't going to change the world...far from it...and the looks will hurt sales.

If somebody goes out and comes up with a copycat design, it's a pretty safe bet that this thing really has struck a chord (pun intended) with the public. Don't hold your breath.

And don't forget to put the seat down when you're done.

13. Maybe people think the Fenders and Les Pauls look "weird". It's all a matter of opinion , my friend:)

14. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Osama, I think you missed my point.

There will always be someone who will buy a Gene Simmons Axe bass. But that thing isn't going to set any trends.

I don't mind odd-looking stuff at all...I absolutely fell in love with the Steinberger the first time I saw one in 1982, and eventually played one as my main bass. And you can't get much weirder than that.

The Bongo is just as far from the beaten path as the Steinberger was (BTW, have you noticed how poorly they kept their value? The marketplace is not kind to odd designs).

What's going to hurt it is that whole toilet seat thing, IMO. It goes beyond odd to my eye...I couldn't play one because I would have a hard time keeping myself from laughing at its looks. Never mind what others might think watching me...it just strikes my funny bone.

But as you say, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    the fact that so many people HATE the way it looks, and I LOVE the way it looks makes me want one all the more! i'm saving my pennies for one - approximate due date, mid february.

i was hunting them down last nite looking for a fretless :( . they don't make in in fretless far as i can see. i really want to start getting into the fretless thing since i bought my new acoustic. seems like it opens up an entirely new world, it's a hell of a lot more challenging... and my buzzer just went off telling me i have to throw my clothes in the dryer. i used the only big washer in my building and people get really ticked if you don't take your clothes out right away.

16. *shrug*

Bongo rocks:)

17. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    its like the ergodyne. its something unusual. and has advantages. but unlike the ergodynes these things sound great as well... and truly ergonomic. so definitely well worth the money. even if you don't want to show it in public. its a comfortable play, more beatible, tougher and IMO even better sounding than a Stingray... my .02

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I wouldn't be seen playing that strange bass.
    Maybe that's my loss, but so be it.

:cool:

19. I think they're beautiful.