Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

They shouldn't be called ERB.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Extended range basses. they give you an extended range.
    BUT... many TB'ers say they play them for better positioning.

Hence, i propose that they should also be called BPB ... Better Positioning Basses. BTW, IMO you get a 'real' extended range with the low B and F# strings, since they aren't anywhere on the fretboard on a normally tuned 4 string. ;)

Does that even make sense? :)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've always thought Extended Range Guitars was more appropriate :D

:bag:

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    here we go again.

where's that can o' worms pic?

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    no can o' worms, just a little fun. ;)

I AM NOT KNOCKING 4+ STRING BASSES... :meh: i actually saw the light today when i played a range of them... bongo 5 :rolleyes:

BTW, how do you find the warwick? i played a thumb today, and the string spacing was just too tight for my weightlifting fingers. is the corvette the same? :confused:

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They have the same spacing, though it is adjutable (just by a bit, though) - there are wideneck ones, the Streamer LX and Thumb BO wide and the Streamer S I - they have 20 mm spacing.

I have long, thin fingers, so for me it isn't a problem.
    it wouldn't be a problem for you, either, if you took the time to get used to it. I can even pluck an acoustic guitar with it's 10 mm spacing (though it's hard to slap/pop on it). It is possible, it just takes some getting used-to

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D