1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

They Used To Tell Me All Squiers Suck? Is This True?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Sep 15, 2020.

1. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    I am learning from these forums that all Squiers do NOT suck. People used to say all Squiers suck. Why is that? Are there some "bad" Squiers and are there some "good" Squiers? I really like the Squier II MIK P Bass I bought recently. It sounds as good or better than my other basses at a fraction of the cost. I am still re-adjusting to the fat of the P Bass neck and the long scale (I am used to a Fender Musicmaster at the moment), but why do they say or why did they used to say "all Squiers suck?"

Does my Squier Affinity P Bass from 2004 or so suck? They used to tell me it sucked and my first bandmates used to hit it with drumsticks because "it sucked" :crying:

PennyroyalWe and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. If you love it man, and have fun, forget about what some rando on a message board thinks.

joe

The Jar, dabbler, 123Nil and 30 others like this.
  3. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    They are built well, and play fine, but are advertised as “starter” instruments. Fender, who builds them, has on the Squier website that some day you’ll move up to a Fender, but in the meantime here is a starter instrument that is built to Fender specs.

Mastermold likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The quality of parts for Affinities are the lowest, followed by other Squirts, followed by mim Fenders followed by mia Fenders, and workmanship also tends to get better as you move up in price, but there are plenty of people here regularly gigging Squirts (at least before COVID). But the only thing that matters is whether YOU like it.

Beside, since when do we start listening to drummers?

5. My first guitar was a Squier II Strat and my first bass was a Squier II Precision. They were actually decent. Lacquered neck. Nice feel. They were made in Korea and they were a notch up from most Squiers. I can’t comment on the sound, as I don’t remember how they sounded and I had crappy amps anyway.

There was a Squier Pro Tone Series that looked super nice and were decent.

Most Squiers are just cheaply made and don’t have a great reputation. But I agree the MIK Squier IIs were a step up.

TK4261, DJ Bebop and MarMar like this.
  6. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    And by the way, you’re going to have people insult your instruments every so often, no matter what you own- and it gets WORSE when you have spent thousands on one. My avatar has my favorite bass ever, and most expensive, and it is a great instrument all around, very versatile. It also has been degraded and insulted by people, usually meant in jest, but still- people are judgmental and stupid, don’t let it bug you.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Used to be, a long long time ago, maybe. Not any more, they've responded to the competition.

pcake, One Way, LBS-bass and 2 others like this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Most people are idiots. Don't listen to them.
    Evaluate every bass-shaped object on its own merit.
    If it feels good and sounds good it is good.

9. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    o_O You deserve better people in your life. Yeah an Affinity is the bottom tier, but most are perfectly serviceable instruments. A bass guitar to the head hurts, regardless of brand.

123Nil, JC Nelson, Florinda4 and 10 others like this.
  10. There was the Classic Vibe line (previous to the current Classic Vibe line) that was absolutely glorious. They were (some will argue) on par with MIA Fenders as far as fit and finish. Some pro players, like Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Bireli Lagrene, have used those CV basses on gigs and tours.

No, they don’t ALL suck, but some might...

MonetBass, fritzk9, One Way and 8 others like this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I have 3 Squier basses and one guitar, ranging from good to exceptional.
    I have played others that range from sub-optimal to very good.

They vary, but, so do Fenders (although usually to a lesser degree).

Bajo Clarkko and MarMar like this.
  12. There have been a few bad Squiers. They made some briefly in India. Those are terrible. Some of the early Korean stuff might not have been the best out there (but was still miles better than what you could get for a beginner's instrument back in the 1970s!). I'm not a fan of the series of Affinitys that have the small tuners.

But that's pretty much it, and the vast majority of them range from "perfectly giggable with a brief setup" to "amazing". The Squier Japan stuff is particularly outstanding.

13. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Depends. On the workmenship.. I got an affinity.. That I'm working on. Neck sanding fret board rounding with a file.. Couple of upgrades.

MarMar likes this.
  14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Those paranormal squiers are pretty sweet

Tommy V likes this.
  15. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    Great thread with great responses. Thank you everyone. I like that people are responding well to SOME of my threads here. I don't know much of what I'm talking about. I've just played bass for about 16 or 17 years and I love it. It opened my life up to great experiences.

JC Nelson, juancaminos and Bleecker like this.
  16. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Mine is a mistreated made in India one, it's not going to suck when I'm done..
    I like a bass to look and feel well played

arbiterusa likes this.
  17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    They Used To Tell Me All Squiers Suck? Is This True?

You may need to question "they" instead of what they say.

EagleMoon, tito0515, sonojono and 3 others like this.
  18. The only thing that gets me about the affinitys (literally the only thing wrong with them. I bought the white PJ for my son, and a member of my church has the jazz) is the pickups. They can't handle me. They fart and distort like crazy when I hit anything remotely hard. If I concentrate really hard, or down my gain a good amount, they are perfectly fine. Nothing wrong there at all. But for the 800+ bucks (bass, new tuners, bridge, pots, pickups, strings, knobs, sheilding, and in my case...finish), id just buy parts or the bass I wanted instead.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  19. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I heard that too. Borrowed a friends Squier Jazz when I came back from a long hiatus of 'I am not going to play again'. I actually liked it so much that he had to remind me that it was his bass and he wanted it back lol. I now have a VM Precision 5 string.
    I modified it a bit. Heck it's in the name. But I didn't do anything to it that would change the sound.
    It's a great P Bass. It's the one I keep a set of round wounds on and it has that Awesome P bass growl. London Calling anyone?!
    If anybody has a problem with it.....I really don't care LOL

Rezdog

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Ghastly likes this.
  20. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    No experience with Squirrels at all. However, I do have one loaded MiM strat pick-guard. Beyond that, I don't know its pedigree — bought it secondhand. But, upon inspection, I knew I'd never want to actually use it, and back in the box it went, where it remains. Someone might want it, one day, I guess, to upgrade a lesser beast.