Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

They want me back?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThatOneGuy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    This is kinda just a rant but I'd appriciate any advice.

So, my two friends and me started a band a few years ago(drums, guitar, bass. Me and drumer "took turns" singing), we played all styles of rock and it was alot of fun. We started giging and were getin a pretty good fan base. At the end of last year they "dumped" me for another bassist, I guess it was because they wanted to make it a "Christian" band, a direction I didnt particularly want to go in. They never talked to me about it or anything, just one day they had SOMEONE ELSE come up and tell me I was out of the band. Now I was friends with all three of these guys, but for a long time afterwards I never really talked to them and I was just really depressed. I have just recently started talking to all of them agin and were on good terms.

So the Drumer had been singing for them but they just recently decided he couldnt sing. So the bassist was going to. But he can't play and sing... So they call me up. Heres what they proposed; I would play "lead bass" and Gil (the other bassist) would play rythm bass and sing. and he would also use an upright. I guess i would sing back ups also(Gil's idea)

Ive known all these guys for along time, and the Gil had casually mentioned that he wanted me to come back to the band. So I was just wondering it I should go back or just tell them im not intersested, but mostly i wanted to vent. :help:

2. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    Sorry, forgot two things. 1) they're still a christian band and will more than likely remain so. Not something I'm really in to but I like the style of music. 2) I've been working on getting another band together, I've got a drummer and maybe a singer and guitarist and I dont really want to just leave them, but I'm also not sure if it'll work out...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you need to let them know what youi want out of the band first. If it's not what you are looking for, then forget it. That seems like a really creappy situation. It's like when you dump someone. I won't ever go out with an ex that I broke up with. I broke up with them for a reason. And later on, 99.9999 percent of the time, that reason is still there. Although it is not the same exact situation here, it is similar. They wanted to do something different. It didn't involve you. Now who's to say they won't meet someone they happen to think might be better in the band than you? Just tread carefully. I wouldn't invest a whole lot of my time to it unless I was sure it was on the up and up.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  5. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I was in a similar situation once. I was booted out of the band and then asked back later. I was not happy with our arrangement to begin with but was willing to put up with it because of a long-standing friendship with one of the members. When they asked me back I said no. A little over a year later I ran into the my friend from the band. He was not longer with them and said that he left for the same reasons the I was unhappy with in the first place.

My point is nothing changed.

People can change but you are only slightly less likely to growth a third arm than to see people change their habits or mannerisms.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thank them kindly for their interest, but decline their offer. Remember the old Great White song, "Once Bitten; Twice Shy"? Well, that should be you. These guys have zoomed you once. No telling how soon they will zoom you again. Furthermore, their concept for the band as having two bassists including one who plays upright is a bit shakey. I'd stay away from a band with unwieldy plans like that.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I wouldn't do it. They're still playing in a genre you don't like, regardless how much leeway they want to give you with being the lead.

8. I have been in a similar situation, no the band wanting me back but playing chritian music when it is not my thing, or being in a fully put together band. I chose no chritian music. I think it is best.

Nice.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep.

+1

ditto.

10. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    Thanks for the responses everybody. I guess I shouldn't do it. Though lead bass did sound kinda awesome :p . Oh well, rock on :bassist:

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Lead Bass? Come on seriously? Maybe lead singer, keyboards and vocals, or just bass and vocals. But lead bass??? Stop it!

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Bootsy plays lead bass...[​IMG]

13. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I feel for you, man. No matter why it's a drag to get dumped.

But, if they are going the Christian route and that's not your scene, don't rejoin. It would make you uncomfortable and compromise what they're trying to get done.

Fo

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I concur with declining. Though you may be down with some of the music they're playing, as time goes on and they get more serious there will be more pressure to push the band in a certain direction, and if you're heart's not totally in with the whole "Christian" music thing, then you'll become very unhappy and your playing and the band's will suffer.

In addition, their passive-aggressive approach to dropping you before seems to suggest that they're not the most forthright people in the world. It's hard to have a serious relationship, ESPECIALLY in a band, if you can't depend on your bandmates to be honest.

You can still be friends with them, just tell them you're working on another project.

Sidenote: On Bad Religion's "Against the Grain", Jay Bently is credited for playing "Rythm and Lead Bass" though I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Imagine what the rythym bass player feels like.. :meh:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How can you play in a band in which the other members believe that god hates your guts? They're out to SAVE you, man.

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd tell them to go F themselves.

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

don't re-join anything... you've already stated you didn't really dig the music-- why move into a situation that you most likely will regret later :eyebrow:

19. Have SOMEONE ELSE tell them you are not interested.

20. Anyone remember these guys?

[​IMG]