1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

they're all different volumes!!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by billsswills, Aug 21, 2012.

1. billsswills

billsswills

Jul 19, 2012
    i don't know why either. dean edge, 6 string, fretless. nice bass, it really is. sounded fine through my solid state, processed and blah blah blah, you know the drill. plug it into the tube amp with no effects or anything and i discover all the strings are a different volume. makes me cry. how do i fix this? simple setup issue, or a deeper much angrier problem? please aid me

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Weird. Are the louder strings closer to the pickup, or is it totally random? I would try adjusting the height of the pickup(s) - even if it looks level try lowering it or raising it, it might just be responding in a weird way. It could also be a dodgy set of strings but that seems unlikely. I very much doubt it's a problem with the construction of the bass itself, if that's any consolation.

The more expensive option would be to try replacing the pickup(s) but I would try adjusting the existing ones first.

3. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I'm not an expert by any means, but would a compressor help?

4. billsswills

billsswills

Jul 19, 2012
    my thoughts were to try adjusting the pickups, maybe the strings themselves. never messed much with all of that, but i need to get used to it already. a compressor would probably do the job, but i reckon the thing itself needs to be in proper order

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Everything is changed and it doesn't sound the same? Without knowing what was in the signal chain it is pretty hard to deduce the problem. With little to go on, a couple of random questions:

How hard do you pluck?
    Is there compression in the old signal chain?
    What else is in the old signal chain?
    What is the pickup configuration?
    What are the pickup heights?
    What is the current setup: relief, string heights?
    When the guitar was last adjusted, which amp/signal chain was used.

6. billsswills

billsswills

Jul 19, 2012
    i'm not going to answer every one of those questions as the old setup is irrelevant. the action is low, the pickups are looking pretty standard in height. how hard do i pluck? i am unaware of the psi. it's probably a matter of the string heights, merely wanted a second opinion

7. disp

disp

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver/Boulder
    Is this in the same room with the cabinet in roughly the same position? Are you standing in the same spot?

Don't rule out room interactions. Also your manual should/could have pickup height measurements. Look those up and see where yours are sitting.

8. I just went through this after rehearsing with a new amp. Everyone of those questions was completely relevant, to my situation at least.

Spent 2 hours last night overhauling everything from the saddles to the neck relief to pup height. Wala! Issues solved.

I am merely suggesting that you don't dismiss those questions out of hand.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    try dropping the pickups a little; this reduces output differences string-to-string, at the cost of reduced output overall.

(oh, and "wala"?)

10. Cheesie, I know. Best I could come up with while preparing dinner :D

Oh, and +1 on the pup height

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Voila!

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    now who's being cheesy? :smug:

13. billsswills

billsswills

Jul 19, 2012
    soon as i get a free moment of time to sit and mess with these pickups i'll give it a whirl. lowering them eh? should work out. the strings look pretty square on height and all of them, but of course i just eyeballed them. probably wouldn't hurt to get the things setup by a pro actually. i'm not nearly educated enough in the ways of it all (haven't looked up a good fretless youtube clip) to give it a go myself

14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Read the set up sticky at the top of this page. Wealth of knowledge from factories and pro's.

15. Doing your own set-up is one of the most kick-a$$ things you can do. I'm no expert, but there are some seriously cool people on this forum that can answer any questions. Tons of info available.

16. If lower strings sound louder adjust the pup height lower on that side. If the higher strings sound louder, the opposite. If its random...buy a new string set