Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

They're bringing back the VL108!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I just emailed for price and specs. That's be an awesome extension cab for my swr baby blue II:)

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I agree, it looks like a cool little cab. Let me know what you find out on price, if you don't mind. I asked them about one a while back but I can't remember what they quoted me. I'm sure it packs a whollop.

I assume it's a long throw 8" speaker.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, man! Now I have to get all hot and bothered about LDS cabs again! That looks sweet!

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    This guy's stuff is AWESOME!! I'm totally down with the orange 212, the dual 4x8 stack and the fliptop 610 !! The VL108 style cab looks killer as well. Do let us know what they say about pricing. Thanks !!

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For all of you who are interested in these cabs, here is a quote from a reply I just received from Don himself:

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks Tom...

299 sounds about right, that would be terrific for upright I am sure. It might be worth waiting on the neo drivers and see what happens. I'd like to hear that little 1x8 tho.

Will

8. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Any idea of weight on these cabs?

9. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    It's stupid light. Don told me the exact weight, but I forgot. It's got to be 20lbs or less.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Seriously, 20lbs? Man. I'm getting really covetous.

11. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Sounds like a natural with my Clarus. 8 ohms or 4?

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm pretty sure it's an 8 ohm cab. The longthrow drivers are 8ohm speakers AFAIK. Two would get the bigger load from the Clarus (600 watts from the Focus!)

Will

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    1x8, 2x8, 3x8....damn, hard decisions:)
    All I can say is I love my swr baby blue II, and I love my Henry 8x8...I guess I'm an 8 lover.
    I still want to know what the cabs are tuned to in terms of freq response, and what kind of spl/efficiency ratings they have...
    One of these will have to be my next bout of GAS. I'm gonna have to get some more bookings coming...

14. Man, I'd like that 5x8", but I doubt my head would push it...

15. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    The three way is about 92-93db. It is a full range cabinet. I believe the port is tuned to 50-55hz. Ask Don about the 4x8 I designed. It has 3 of the 8" long throws and one 8" mid with a coaxially mounted aluminum diaphragm horn. Talk about whallop! A pair of those will blow away the Henry 8x8.

Ralf

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Ralf, I assume you designed the 3 way too? If so, can you tell me what freq the tweeter is crossed over at? I have a GK head where I would like to utilize the seperate tweeter amp amp which operates at 5khz and above. thanks.

17. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    How much volume do you think that LDS 1x8 will put out? I'm looking to replace my GK MB150 combo. I'm assuming the LDS cab will be more hi-fi sounding (which is what I want) but I need to get at least as much volume as I had before. Maybe someone with experience with the 2x8 could comment on the efficiency of these cabs. I'm also waiting to hear about the size and weight.

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm interested in those specs too, please post ?

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I don't have the specs, but it's a pretty efficient cab as I recall - the 2x8 that is. However, the 2x8 was 4 ohms which gets a little more juice from your amp. If anyone is really interested, I'd call Don and ask him. He's super friendly and really knowledgable (obviously!). He usually doesn't get in until a little later in the day tho.

Will

20. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Don designed that box. I've done the design for most of his crossovers (including the 3 way). I see no benefit in using a seperate amp to power a tweeter. Why would you want to do that?