They're letting the guitar player go after the next gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oldrocker, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

I've been with these guys since mid July. 2 guitarist/singers, drums, bass, KB and lead singer. Pretty good band, wide variety of music played well, I've played 1 show with these guys and we have another show this Saturday.

The band has decided, at the KB players insistence to replace the lead guitar player. They will let him know sometime after the show.

Initially we all tried to talk the KB player out of this, but eventually we all relented. I think I was the last to give in when finally I was asked, not that it would have changed their minds if I would quit the band if he was replaced. I told them I would not quit if they replaced him.

They main complaint is his guitar tone and KB doesn't like the way he sings one of his songs. His sings lead on about 3 songs per set and backing vocals on a lot of the others. For the most part he sings and plays these songs very well - his tone could use a little less overdrive and distortion, but ....

Anyway the guy they are replacing him with is a friend of the KB player. We actually have 2 shows lined up with the new guitar player already. We did jam with him once and he is a very good guitar player but no vocals. Plus he's one of these guys in multiple bands and will not rehearse but will play shows if his schedule allows. As to be expected during the jam we played well but we played generic version of the songs - not really starting or stopping together and not really playing the changes and such.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just ranting here as I'm concerned with the treatment of the guitar player and concerned about losing 10 good songs and having a mercenary on lead guitar that will not be regularly rehearsing with us. I guess I'm also felling bad for letting them do this to the guitar player.

We're not kids, mid 40s, 50s and early 60s and this a mostly for fun band, play out once a month or so I'm not sure what the upside is. If I didn't like the lead singer and the drummer in this band so much I would leave after the show this Saturday as well.

Raman likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    :(

el_Bajo_Verde and shawshank72 like this.
  3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Sounds like a train-wreck, to be honest. Just an excuse for the KB player to get his friend in the band. I'd bail and get something going with the original guitarist/singer instead. I've dealt with those people who don't wanna rehearse. Never again.

4. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I've been on the other end. It was understandable. We had just had our 3rd child and multiple practices per week just weren't feasible for me.
    Singer called and gave me the news. Cut to about 2 years later my replacement quit and I was asked to come back complete with apologies.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    You're giving up a guy who sings a good deal for a friend of the keys player?

Oy. Hope things don't go sour for whoever else the keys guy is hoping to replace with another friend of his.

6. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    YOU COULD BE NEXT

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    You have 3 months with this band & replacing people already. Defines mgmt in the band. Keep playing that Rock N Roll

ThePresident777 and oldrocker like this.
  8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, ur next most likely as you were the last to bend to the KB's will...

pcake, andruca, Rocker949 and 5 others like this.
  9. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    This is dumb. You're downgrading from a regular band member who rehearses to an endless series of missed cues and botched endings. And everyone being manipulated by the KB player, the most optional instrument in the band, who does not sing lead. Nothing good will come of this.
    Then again, if you maintain ties with the ousted guitarist, you are one drummer away from a trio.

10. oldrocker

That's not the case with this guy. He comes prepared and takes time at home to learn the material.

11. oldrocker

Don't think that I haven't thought of this.

This is supposed to fun. I should be going over songs and making sure my rig is ready for the show instead of stressing out over this stuff

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm going to break with TB tradition and say FIRE THE KEYBOARDIST!!!

The drummer can stay.... for now.

13. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I've heard you need 2 of the following 3 to make being in a band worth it:

Money
    Hang
    Music

Is it worth it to you?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    That's showbiz.
    Good Luck.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not good.

Shell-Silverstein-pic-small.png

Ellery, Rocker949 and ThePresident777 like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Part of the problem is that it shouldn't take that many rehearsals to get a band together! How many times do guys your age have to rehearse before you're done rehearsing and just gig!?!?!?!? If the new guitar player is any good, he'll learn the songs at.home and be fine.

Anyway.....

Did anyone have a chat with the guitar player at any point? Was he given a chance to change? Was he talked with about his tone and singing? If not, this project might just be a power struggle that winds up with the keys player as the band leader.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    SteveC, Slinger, getrhythm and 11 others like this.
  17. Scott C.

Scott C.

Nov 24, 2014
    Washington, USA
    If I were in the guitarist, I'd be pretty upset over being canned over tone. You couldn't just ask me to turn the gain down, and maybe sing the one song a little different?

I dunno if this guy is the prideful type that won't change, but it seems like suggesting changes should come before firing. Firing is a last resort.

18. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    "...will not rehearse..."

That's a complete none-starter for me...

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The situation your in hits me hard since it happened to me early this year. I'm not going to pull punches cause it's all kinds of wrong. Why does the KB player get to call the shots? It's because he wants his buddy in the band.
    We call that getting " buddy f'ed" in my town. I got BF'd early this year by the drummer. He like your KB player got the band convinced to bring back the old bass player, his buddy, and to axe me.
    I was let go for similar stupid reasons, my tone and that I was " too rock and roll."

I was not made aware of this and the whole scheme was hatched behind my back. I was fired by email after two great gigs back to back, where my playing was praised.
    It came out of the blue and I was fired by the gutless band by freakin email!!!

I picked this band up after the drummers bass buddy flaked on them and quit the first time.
    He canceled practices and came unprepared to gigs all the time and they had enough. He even quit when they confronted him on his issues instead of addressing them.

I auditioned for this band even thou the BL was a friend, one who I had another band with for 6 years prior! I spent a year and four months getting them gigs. I was never late, always played my best. They acted like all was great and my playing helped the bands sound over the drummers buddy.

If you have not talked to the guitarist PLEASE DO SO! There is no reason for this unless it's been discussed to him and he has time to correct any true issues. Speaking of the issues, the issues your KB player states for letting him go it's pure BS.
    Like what happened to me he just wants his buddy in and to just toss a player away for it.

If you stand for it or say nothing in defense of the guitar player you are guilty as the others here.
    Please stand up and make the others talk to the guitarist with the KB player present. Put it all on the table.
    I will never support a band member to be fired unless it's for reasons they know, continue to do so when they are informed, or just will not change.

Your band needs to grow some balls and be men here. Trust me it suks when your blindsided by a band you gave up personal sacrifices for. Don't be a lamb...man up!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  20. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    First, your KB sounds like a complete D bag. Fire him! Why would you fire a guitarist that sings backup, a few leads (one that might need work) and maybe some tone adjustment? Besides the obvious, the KB wants his buddy in the band. The same guitarist that won't bother to rehearse, doesn't have vocals and will do gigs when his schedule will allow?? Did you even talk to your guitarist about his tone and the vocals? This is a bad situation that will only get worse. And you're not exactly 12-13 year olds putting together your first band in your garage. Apologies to any 12-13 year olds out there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021