Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THG Wooden Tuners on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, May 3, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Anyone ever used these or heard about them on any basses? Im curious as to approximate cost and also how durable they might be?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If you just mean the tuning keys, I'm sure it'd be no problem. Wooden tuners would probably be out of the question, though.

PS: Wooden tuning keys would definitely have the potential to look awesome.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would assume they would be about the same price as a set of guitar tuners. More wood to them, perhaps a more intricate detail. Probably looking between $115-135 depending on wood.

They should be durable as long as you don't smash them into anything too hard.

4. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I checked their website. Those bass tuner knobs look quite pretty.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im considering some birdseye maple ones to match my fingerboard, pickup covers and knobs on my custom being built soon. And yes I just meant keys, not the tuner mechanisms themselves hehe.

6. Hajime

Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Tokyo
    I already use THG's wood button, I don't have any problem for a year, and I think I won't have.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what Hajime said +1...

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I guess I didnt think this through very well. Not like Im going to be banging a $4000+ bass around like a toy anyhow, I think Ill go ahead with them if they arent too outrageously priced :)

9. Hajime

Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Tokyo
    Sorry, I talked about durableness, not price.

10. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I have used THG for custom wooden control knobs and tuner knobs on several of my basses. Here are pics from a custom bass I did with both types of wooden knobs from THG.

Wooden tuner knobs, stablized macassar ebony and zebrawood:

[​IMG]

I sent the tuners to Roger at THG so he could make and install the wooden tuner knobs.

Control knobs, spanish cedar with zebrawood accent and camphor burl tops to match the body of the bass:

[​IMG]

The Tuner knobs need to be made from stabilized wood.

The control knobs do not need to be made from stabilized woods.

For more information and whether or not Roger at THG can make wooden knobs for your tuners, give him a call or send him an email. He's a great guy and more than helpful, highly recommended.

http://www.thgknobs.com

:^)~