Thick as a Brick?...Grind NTB Caveat

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Since I own one and have been a contributor to threads raving about these basses I wanted to pass on another detail about their construction that I've discovered that will have a bearing on the discussion of these instruments.

I've mentioned in the past that the darker the wood, the lighter the bass. That still holds true. But there's more to that story. Yesterday, I was in Galaxy Music here in GA and saw a lineup of 8, new, 4 and 5 string Grind NTB's with the new bridges. That got my attention and I went to look. A closer inspection of the group turned up something very surprising. All but 2 of the bodies were a different thickness...I'll let that sink in a little...8 basses/7 different body thicknesses!! The visual clue was the radical step up to the neck where the heel blends with the body. The narrowest was 1-3/16" thick and the thickest was 1-1/2" with the rest falling somewhere in between. The pair that were the same were 1-1/4" and that's the same as my own bass. That leads me to believe that the original design intent was for the NTB's to be 1-1/4". These basses are built in Viet Nam and they have a real character and a truly desirable tone. However, this is about as unacceptable a production error as any I've ever encountered. Just from a materials management standpoint, a single day's production of oversize basses would use up wood that could make 20% more instruments and keep the ones made the day before lighter and more desirable. Hey, it might even save Peavey a little money. Whoever is in charge of the overseas operation has really let the ball drop when it comes to quality control.

So there you have it - if you want a decently light Peavey Grind NTB you'll not only have to look for the darker woods, you'll also have to have your tape measure handy.

Damn, for this much work, I should build one for myself! :rolleyes: :D
  2. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I noticed this a lot also ... I'v seen and played about 8 grinds myself they come and go at the local shop... 6 of the 8 were extremely light colored, they never set right with me ... so I rolled the dice and ordered from musician's friend during a blowout and low and behold mine was just right ... Can't stress enough to look for these darker Grinds if your in the market... my poor grind dont get much play anymore though since I got my Lakland:)
  3. Since I bought mine for a purpose project, I don't play it often. So I'm considering doing a little upgrading and some reworking to make a couple of things just a little better. I especially want to make the back of the neck smoother. The profile is terrific but that mahogany is too porous for my tastes.