1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thick cable coming from pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by creis2, Mar 18, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    This might be pretty well known, but I'm not a pedal guy.

I've seen a few pedalboards, even some with just a few pedals with a huge thick cable going towards the amp.

What is this typically?

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Could be a power cable. I've seen some people power their boards with Phantom Power.

3. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Send and return, as well as power?

4. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Possibly, I have no clue. I've seen is mostly when someone runs a ton of pedals, I just kind of assume they have a bunch of cables a junk.

I saw a band a few weeks ago, the bassist had like 3 or 4 pedals, with this super thick cable going to his amp.

5. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Could of been that he was running wireless to a rack at his amp, then ran a breakout cable that contained both send and return to the pedal board as well as running power to it?

6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    it's a loom with power and various wiring options at either end, i.e. power connection, 1/4" mono or stereo, MIDI, XLR etc. Makes it easier, is neater to maintain, and slightly safer, no tripping over spaghetti wires, but possibly tripping over one big cable.....

7. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Makes sense. Especially for those who run a lot of pedals.

A little much for 4 pedals, with one being a tuner?

8. For a little while I had a mic setup with a mixer to combine the FOH with my mic and some in-ear action, as well as sending a DI to the mixer. I had my cables bundled like that for an easy hookup at my spot on stage, at the mixer, and at my amp. Really where it saves is on packing and unpacking your junk at a gig.

9. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Especially if the cable run up to $370 before tax.

Edit: see link above.

10. Well, I ghetto'd it up with spiral wrap, but it did solve a lot of problems.

11. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I've seen somewhere else someone used electrical tape.

12. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Back when I was touring we would use plastic split tubing from the auto parts store and use some electrical tape every foot or so to keep it closed. It worked well especially considering that my setup would change every couple of months and it was easy to rebuild the loom.