thick, loud, hot, & mean pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Let's pick out some pickups for a Jazz. But, I want something BIG & FAT, LOUD & RAUNCHY!! Like a thunderbird or eb-3. Is there anything that can drop in the single coil slot that sounds like this? Or, will I have to get it routed bigger?

Also - suggest what you think would be good. I have never seen a jazz with a big fat Gibson pickup on it, but I would like to. I really like the body of the Jazz.. but, right now - I find the tones too thin for my rock&roll (pick using) self.
    (also - I really lean towards the tones of Allen Woody [gov't mule] which are very thick & slightly overdriven)
  2. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Check out this jazz. Not really a 'big fat gibson pickup', but it may give you some idea...

Looks interesting.
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

How about a big, fat Gretsch pickup? This is the late Barry Oakley, from the Allman Brothers. Notice it also has an extra Jazz pickup at the bridge. He called it the Tractor bass.

There is a new version of that pickup, called a Dark Star, that is just what you are looking for. You can read about it here:
  4. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

While I love Jazz's as well, nothing beats the nuclear mud my 1965 Gibson EBO (signed by the late Allen Woody) delivers. Not a lot of definition, but my lord the fat thud is something to marvel at.

BTW, my EBO will be up for sale shortly. Had it since I was 16, but just am not playing it anymore. The Sadowsky itch is finally driving me crazy.

Also signed by Mr. Jack Bruce. I know the sigs don't make it sound/play any better, but they are both bass idols and it's cool. The instrument does need a neck reset (as pointed out by Allen when he signed it), but it's never had the headstock broken off.

After researching the price of 65/66 EBO's in comparable condition, I'm thinking of asking $1700 w/o case. Any thoughts?
  5. bigtexas -- that is cool that Cap'n AW signed your bass... one person that I wish I could have met.

I like B.Oakley's bass - that might be a way I would travel... but, my main question -- does anybody make anything with the big "MUD" sound that would drop into a single coil slot?

I know that there are several high-output humbuckers that fit in the single coil slots of strats... just not sure if this exists for bass.

The Darkstars - are these going to sound big & muddy, or just a larger sized pickup?
  6. bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Part of the equation for that muddy sound is pickup placement. Take a look at the EB series basses and the Allen Woody sig, and you'll notice that they all have humbuckers right up at the neck. If that's the sound you're going for, I imagine you'll need a humbucker there.
  7. In my limited experience, I find the G&L MFD pickups to be far away the most outrageous. Output is red hot compared to others. My DP146 is a distant 2nd to the MFD in my L1500, and the DP146 is far hotter than a Duncan SPB-3 (Quarter Pounder P).

I have no reason to expect the MFD jazz pickups to be any different.
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Then why are you playing a jazz?
  9. i am not playing a jazz... i just like the body. it feels good & fits me best. i was just wondering what was out there, so i wouldn't have to get something custom built.
  10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003

I want my cat to bark like a dog.

If you want the sound of a T-bird or EB-3, just get one.
  11. Grab some Gibson humbuckers and stick them into your jazz. Problem solved.
  12. [​IMG]

something like this :)
  13. I think this thread got misguided...

Here is my Example of what I am looking for

It is a FULL sounding humbucker in a small SINGLE-coil space. Does anyone make anything like this for a jazz pup routing?

I am not asking about what pups to put in a jazz, but, what big, fat tone is available in the J pup size. Maybe this is a little bit clearer.
  14. Why don't you just spend $10 and buy yourself a push-pull pot and do yourself a series mod?

with your two jazzes in series, the bass will sound MUCH fatter...low mids will be'll like it...:)
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I had a Geddy jazz w/ a Moses neck, Bassline jazz pups, and an aguilar obp-1 and it absolutely KILLED anything. It was even more powerful than my G&L L2500.

The basslines do that
  16. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    +1--great suggestion. I did the same mod on a MIM Jazz V after I dropped some Barts in it and it killed. HUGE sound.