Thick, no-zing strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jongor, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I really don't like high-end zing in my strings. I like the tone and playability of a moderately flexible round wound, but don't want the highs.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any with solid lows, good mids and muted highs....?

Think thick, chewy and rubbery.

Round or flat, doesn't matter.

For basses, I have a '76 P with an ash body, maple/maple neck and Sadowsky p/j pickups and a Bossa OB-4 with a swampash body and maple/ebony neck, 2 humbuckers and a 3 band eq.
  2. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I love the Rotosound nylon flats on my '70 Precision. Thick and rubbery are definitely two adjectives that come to mind in describing their sound.
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  4. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    That's how I would describe TI jazz flats
    Here's 55-01 with Ti flats
  5. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Wow the 55-01 sounds really good with those strings!

I actually have the TI's JF's on my P bass now, a little too mid-heavy for what I have in mind.

I'll see if I can find a sound file of the sound in my head....there were times during the Rockstar performances that the bassist was getting the tone I'm looking for. Maybe I just need to get a Stingray....
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe Elixir Polywebs.

No real High End, which I like...punchy too, but maybe thats just me.
  7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    This is what I'm talking about for tone! :D

It's a JJ Helms bass

Ok, so it's probably alot more than just the strings....
  8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Jongor, what style of music are you playing? I recently stumbled upon some Ken Smith "Slick-rounds". Feels and sounds like a flat, but with a bit more bite. They sound like they would be ideal for that 70's p bass sound......"Brick House", "Pick Up The Pieces". Their tension is the best I have felt for a flat; a bit tighter than TI's and less tension than Chromes. :eyebrow: