Thick preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joshsmog, Feb 24, 2004.

1. whats a good onboard preamp thats thick sounding? i want preferably a 2 band eq but 3 is ok 4 might be jumping the gun but list any preamps that sounds thick.

is the seymour duncan preamp any good? i got sd pickups would it be a good match?

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    If thick means fat, then the Aguilar OBP-1 or 3. I have Barts, EMGs, Aggies and others, and that's what I'd say is your best bet for fitting that description.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I will have to agree with the Aguilar pre being big in sound. I have also had some Bart systems, primarily with the 18V option, that have sounded quite thick. Personally, I don't think that the Basslines preamp is very thick sounding, but rather bright and Hi-Fi sounding, but then again, it all depends on which p-ups you have. My personal experiences has only been with the AJB's p-ups with the Duncan 3 band, and I felt it was a bit too bright for me. Hope that helps!
  4. hmm ok, the aguilar one seemed a little too expensive. i might go with the SD one and just get bigger guage strings i guess.
  5. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Sadowsky? I don't have personaly experience with them but sounds fairly thick and rich at that basstasters website.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    By 'thick' do you mean 'fat' i.e. lots of bass boost?

If so, then the Aguilar is what you're after. The SD's are OK, not great.

Or do you mean 'thick' as in low mids? If so, then you need a three band preamp. Again, the Aguilar is the best IMO. Barts are also good with low mids, but they're more subtle preamps in general.
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Why not try out the Aggie DB-924? It has the same ciruitry as the OBP-1, and you can probably give it a test run and then return it to most retailers. That way it only costs you shipping and you don't have to deal with re-wiring inside your bass until you've determined you're digging it.

If you like the Sadowsky Pre there is a box that replicates that, or Mike Pope pre-amps are embedded in the Fodera 2000.

Just make sure you buy from somewhere with a return policy.

In any case, there are options you can explore that will let you determine the right pre-amp for you before you actually install an obp.

Good luck.
  8. what i mean by thick is more fuller tone, probly low mids and lows. my sm-400 doesnt sound thick so i wanted a preamp to counter act it but i figure upgrading from super htin crappo strings to way thicker it will probly be good enough i think the sd one should do good enough as im not willing to plop down a whole lotta money because im a cheap bastard and have lots of other things to buy as well. thanks for the help, i might get a aguilar preamp later on when im not wanting so much other stuff. :hyper: i need gear! :bassist:
  9. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Try the Smith preamp...Smith is back in the biz of selling his OEM parts. I put the Smith 3 band in my Nordstrand, and BOOM!! Chub city! I can get the snarly Jaco thing, the Marcus tone, whatever. I also have an R Bass with a Haz Lab in it. The Haz Lab sounds great as well (who, BTW, also manufactures Ken Smith's preamps), but the Smith seems to be a bit growlier in the low mids, as well as having a really substantial bass boost. IMO, the Bart and OBP-3 are a good option, and yes, they're cheaper, but for the performance, IMO, the Smith is 100% worth it.
    If $ is that big of an issue, go the OBP-3 route, or get a Fodera outboard. The Foderas can be had for 150-200 on EBay quite often.
  10. can you list some prices? i can get the sd for around 100-120 dollars.
  11. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Go to the Smith's all there. About 225, IIRC, but WAAAAAAAYYYY mo betta than the SD pre...I had one in a bass with a SD PU setup, and I thought it was really not a good sounding pre at all. Too clacky, not enough low end for me, and a mid control set with the mid frequency too high.
  12. man, i want a big muff a new bass a tube amp and some other pedals and i dont have money for that.
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles