thick warwick necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I keep reading about warwick necks being really thick, and being referred to as "baseball bats". I have a streamer stage I (4 str), and I always felt like it was one of the slimmest necks I've played.

What gives? Is my neck just really unusual? Are the other models' necks a lot thicker than the Streamers'?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When referring to neck thickness, most people are talking about the profile, or depth of the neck, measured from front to back.

A lot of Warwick models, especially made in the last 10 years and up, have a narrow side to side measurement at the nut, but some of the thickest profiles(front to back measurement) of any production basses.
  3. Yeah, I played a 1993 (I believe it was a '93) Warwick Thumb-BO, and the neck was absolutely huge.
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I just sold an FNA5 for the reason that Embellisher stated in his post and I played a Yamaha TRB6 for years and had no problems. I found myself having to adjust my playing style more than I was willing to in order to not have a sore hand.
  5. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    How thick are they actually? I think 21mm @ 1st fret is close to optimal.
  6. I just checked the specs on their American site - click this if you've got Acrobat Reader installed - and it seems like if you'd like Warwick's necks. They're 21 mm thick at the first fret.
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Woohoo! I gotta go buy one now. :)

BTW 21mm is the thickness of my Kingston 5 neck. The original neck it had was a bit thinner...