1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

thicker g string round wound go dead slower?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Mar 30, 2016.

1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    does a thicker round wound g string go dead slower?
    right now have 45
    looking at bumping that up a bit---would it help in making the string stay lively longer?

2. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    My experience says not noticeably longer. I believe the purpose of a thicker string is to add more resonance. It may contribute to a slightly longer life but I think a better approach may be to use the brightest strings and change them every 3 months. I hear that using rubbing alcohol to clean an older string may extend its life. Some people boil them in hot water but I have not tried either method.

kkaarrll likes this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I have read about both of those. I am not sure that would be worth the trouble for me at least. So, thinking about it some, thought a bit bigger gauge would prolong it some. Thanks for the reply though.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021