1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Thicker Wah Tone - Crybaby 105Q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Jun 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I am trying to thicken up my wah tone. I currently use the MXR Superbadass M75 pedal before my Crybaby 105Q. I settled on this pedal mainly because it got REALLY close to the sound I liked at the time (wilder wah tone basically). Of course, now I think I need to do something different. At the moment, the sweep of the wah is taking away a good chunk of my thick tone with the M75. I am hoping to feed the 105Q with a thicker sounding overdrive to make the wah sound fuller. Sounds good in theory, but I don't know if I will achieve that. I am not looking for a PERFECT match, I just want something that gets me closer than I am now.

I am looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal that does the following:
    · Keeps the original bass tone at lower overdrive settings
    · Does not cause a massive mid-scoop
    · About the size of a boss pedal or smaller
    · Works well with Active basses
    · Has a simple output level control
    · Blend knob is optional
    · Costs $150 or less
    · One-Trick Ponies are OK!

If you have a better idea on how to do this and/or goes in a completely different direction, please share! I am not well versed with wah pedals and overdrive distortion combinations.

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    What kind of sound are you after? Perhaps a YouTube vid might help?

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I usually prefer a wah going into an overdrive rather than the other way round, but you have to have the right pedal for it since some overdrives can totally eat up the wah sound so you can barely hear the effect.

The best I've found is either the Darkglass Vintage or Pike Vulcan - the clean blend helps the low end and also the character of the wah shine through, and the distortion is mainly focused around the midrange. Both sound sweet with a wah or filter in front!

4. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I am thinking something along the lines of the signature Slash Wah with distortion built in. I heard a guitarist use that and it was a very full sounding tone. I also envy Cliff Burton's wah tone, but with my setup, that is not going to happen, but If I can get something half-way similar to that, I would probably be cool with it.

5. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I honestly had not thought about doing that. My previous attempts at doing this basically resulted the wah tone to disappear, but like you said, it all depends on the pedal you choose for it.

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Use a fuzz instead of an overdrive. Particularly a muff style one

7. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Muff Style Fuzz is what I started thinking of. Is there a simple Muff Style Fuzz with added midrange that works well for bass and/or made for bass? It's going to be set once and hardly every touched again.

8. I know outside your range a bit but the mbd1 is fantastic...I use it with my Crybaby mini Wah to accentuate as far down as low B. It's more in the "gritty OD to distortion gain range" with my rig but that works wonders and can still cut through the mix.

9. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I wouldn't really worry about it being made for bass honestly. I like the Supercollider and Musket for muffs with mids? If you're handy with a soldering iron it's also not a super hard build. Your wah is also gonna accentuate the mid range greatly in the middle of the sweep, the EHX Bass Big Muff is totally worth looking at also.

10. Schopes

Schopes

Sep 9, 2016
    Nashville
    I use a bass crybaby "mini" and I send it fuzz from an EHX big muff. I really like the nice sound that I get. Can be kinda synthy at times. I also have them running in the loop of a OneControl Mosquito Blender to keep a low and clear signal present as well.

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have used many drives in the past, with varying degrees of success
    Bass big muff (std and dlx)
    Boss hm2
    Mxr bass fuzz deluxe
    Ehx glove
    Darkglass b3k and vmt

Tbh the one that might work best for you could be here, but drive into wah is a very personal thing. My current top choice is the mxr, and has been for about 3-4 years.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    To me, distortion into wah is more for synth like sounds. For a more traditional classic rock sound, which was usually wah into a dirty tube amp, I prefer wah to be earlier in the chain!

13. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I think I am going to try my luck with the Deluxe Bass Big Muff or a Big Muff Bass Nano.

Thanks for all of the responses!

14. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    PunkRocker33133: Your wah is also gonna accentuate the mid range greatly in the middle of the sweep, the EHX Bass Big Muff is totally worth looking at also"

THANK YOU! I tested this at my show last night. I set my MXR Superbadass Distortion pedal to be 3/10 on the midrange knob and increased the lows and highs on it. In addition, I increased the distortion content. The wah's midrange voice came through really well with the MXR feeding it. The low end pushed the wah bit further and the upper mid to high frequencies carried the distortion on top. The result was MUCH closer to what I was trying to go for. Everything sounded more defined that way.

My guitarist is selling a Suhr Rufus Fuzz pedal which has EQ knobs and great low end content. I am going to try that soon. Thank to everyone suggesting a fuzz with wah. Should have been obvious from the start, but I tend to go down a different path!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021