1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thickest Coated strings for down tuning? (4 string)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sam adams, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I'm a novice to coated strings but I hate dead sounding strings and want to give them a go. I'm looking for something slightly heavier than .105 without just buying a 5-string set. I tune around Drop C & Drop B, 34" scale length.

Does something like that exist? Because I've looked around a little and can't seem to find any.

2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you hate the sound of dead strings chances are good you wont like coated strings. Any coated string Ive tried has had a lot less zing then a uncoated string.

3. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I don't mind if something sounds 90% so long as it sounds 90% forever(well, not literally of course) because the fresh string zing goes away so fast with uncoated strings in my experiences.

That's my experiences with coated strings on guitar. Is there any reason it'd be different on bass?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You are best buying singles...

.120/.125 would be best for the Drop C / Drop B...