1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thickness of Back Panel on Hollow Body..?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Betyouaint, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Can anyone give me a ballpark thickness of what the back panel should be on a hollow bodied bass...? The one I'm making is currently around 5-6mm (2/10"). It looks and feels about right but I'm not really sure...???

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    For strength, it should be more than 3 mm. Otherwise, it will crack much too easily (too easily for me, anyway).
    Your application and sound ambitions may take you to thicker backs. 6 or 12, the less the more hollow sound - can you imagine?:rolleyes:
    I stay around 5-6mm, personally. My idea of just right, you may know the swedish word "lagom"?:smug:

3. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. The thickness I've been working with seemed instinctively right but not being experienced at guitar making I'm always second guessing myself...

I do have a Swedish to English dictionary somewhere from an exchange I did back in my teens. I'll look it up... ;)

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Good luck!:D
    It's said to be un-translatable - to any language.:ninja: