Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thickness/Profile of replacement Jazz necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jeb T, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hi,

I'm wondering about the thickness/profile/contour of replacement Jazz necks.
    It's a little confusing, but by "profile" I mean the thickness from the back of the neck
    to the fingerboard.

I'm asking this because I bought a Mighty Mite jazz neck which is thinner than a friend's
    Squier Jazz, which is a bit thinner still than the jazz neck on my Fender Precision Special.

I think I prefer the thicker necks.

Does anyone know the thickness of WD and Stew Mac necks?

Thanks!!
    Jeb

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try www.usacustomguitars.com. You can talk to Tommy and they allow you to spec out your neck the way you want it. Choose thickness, radius, the whole bit.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do believe that "Profile is the shape of the back of the neck from the edge of the borad "E" Side to the edge of the board "G" side (4 string of course). Profile can also be described as radius, but be carfull there are 2 different radius's on the neck. The common Fretboard radius and the back of the neck radius.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Fretboard radius was what I was talking about in my prevous post about USACG.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok. Cool. What you need to watch for though as well as the Fretboard radius is nut/heal width. They differ quite a lot sometimes. I have found,personnaly, that even 1/8" make a big difference to me. Also, some necks, like on Modulus, are compound radius's. My Genisis is a 10" to 15" radius. 10" at the nut and 15" by the heal. It is, for me, not as comfortable to play as my J-neck 9.5 radius bass.