Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thieves suck!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 11, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Had my Eden Metro and my laptop from work in my van. Went to church. Now I no longer have an Eden Metro. I just hope I don't lose my job over the laptop.

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ouch.

Doors locked? Insurance covered?

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    What he said.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that, Jeff.

Man, that does suck. I feel for you, man.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

check your PM please.

6. embellisher

I got it, Lee.:)

Anyone know how this crap works with homeowners and auto insurance?

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Man, that's terrible. I hate a thief. Maybe it'll turn up.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry to hear about it, Jeff.

9. embellisher

It's even worse than I thought. My checkbook, my mortgage statement and my wife's car finance info was in the laptop bag. This scum has 24 of my blank checks, and they know where I live.:(

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I say we get a posse together after the Norm Stockton clinic. Get a rope...

brad cook

11. Call the bank tomorrow. They deal with this stuff all the time, y'know.

12. Man, that Reaks.
    Do you have a serial number for the combo? There are a lot of Dallas area player here on TB, and we could keep an eye out for it for you. Eden's aren't very common as far as I can tell down here, so it's bound to turn up sometime.
    Maybe you could even hand out a letter before the clinic with a description asking people to look out for it. The nice thing about Dallas, every bass player knows each other, and if they don't, they know somebody who knows somebody.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Call your bank tonight and see if there is any type of answering service (most decent banks will have one). Tell them your name, your account number, and what happened, and tell them you want the account closed immediately. Also leave them with the last check number of the checks that you wrote so they will go ahead and pay for the checks you have written and block any others from being paid.

Edit: Duh...you probably don't know the check numbers since they took the whole book. Give them a best-guess.

You could just do a stop payment on all the checks, but my bank charges $20/check to do a stop payment, and I think that is the normal fee for most banks.

The reason it's best to call tonight is that way they will get the message as soon as possible in the morning and get the advisory put on the account. A smart criminal would already have written about 10 checks to different people and have them all bombard the bank (all branches) as soon as the doors open. Just hope you don't get one this smart.

14. Q-Phonix

Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That blows! I know how it
    feels. I've had my car stereo stolen twice. You might want to call all the pawn shops in your area
    and ask them if they have any metro's.You never know.

15. embellisher

That's a great idea. I need to see if I have the serial number. The manual has a sticker with the number on it, but it was in my gig bag, which also had all my straps, cables, spare strings, multi effects pedal, sheet music, tools, etc. THIS SUCKS!:(

16. Sorry to hear that Jeff. This is one thing that worries me- someday I'll be able to afford some nice gear, and it'll get stolen. Somebody robbed my car in my own freakin' driveway once- just smashed out the window and took my radio. (Left the changer in the trunk, though.) I'm sure you're taking the advice of others, and just try to hit some pawn shops in search of serial numbers or identifying marks.

17. embellisher

The cops make the pawn shops put everything in the computer. If I can find the serial number, it should turn up eventually.

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I gotta make a comment, even though this isn't my thread.

I think it's really cool how all TB members jump whenever something happens to one of their own. I took less than 2 minutes for this thread to get 9 replies, all either sympathies or suggestions of what to do after Jeff's theiving incident.

Impressive[​IMG]