1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thin bodied bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by janctil, Mar 21, 2009.

1. janctil

janctil

Mar 20, 2009
    Since I am not an expert in this area, I would like to know how thin a bass body can be made? The reason I am asking this is I am looking at building as light (in weight) a bass as I can since I have shoulder issues which prevent me from playing a standard bass for periods of time greater than about 30 minutes. I am looking at making the bass a 30.5"
    short scale with a hollowed out body and as thin a neck and body as is feasible.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    One thing to be aware of is that if the body is too light the head may be too heavy causing neck dive and shoulder discomfort no matter how light the bass is.

Over the last few years I've built up long and short scale instruments in the 5.5-7.5lb range with good balance and I've found that for me light is good but proper balance is just as important for comfort while playing while standing.

3. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    i make basses at 1 1/4 inches i suppose you could go a little thinner but not too much.

4. janctil

janctil

Mar 20, 2009
    Do you have a website?

Is there a problem with bowing of the neck or any other structural problems associated with a thin body?

What type of pickups do you use?

Thank you for your time and trouble.
    :hyper: