Thin Body Bass...bass light?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gary C, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
  2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    that's got to be the strangest thing I've ever seen... :eek: Probably would be better off with an electric bass instead.
  3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I suppose there must be a market for 'em (?), Knilling and Meisel also offer thin-body DBs. I'd be interested to hear one in person... :meh:
  4. bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I would have to say probably little to very little acoustic volume, probably pretty feedback resistant. I guess you could call it pointless, because it is still the same height of a regular DB, and only about 1/2 the thickness.
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Actually if it's anything like the "slim line" Knilling bass that I demoed at a Mars music in VA about 4 years ago, it could sound pretty good. I was suprised at the volume I got out of a similiar bass and the sound was kind of sweet both pizz and arco.

Oh, forgot to mention, it comes with a pickup and you could use a microphone on it too.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you were to wear a pinstripe suit when you played it, they'd all think you were a cardboard cutout....
  7. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Noone has ever accused me of looking like a cardboard cutout before....I'm too....uhhh...."dimentional". :D
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I think the whole idea is just to have a bass that's transportable. Like all the popsicles, the Gage Half a Bass, etc etc. Dragging the big boy out on the road is HARD and the airlines aren't making it any easier, after 9/11.

The problem of how to get a big warm open sound just like the one you get out of your bass acoustically in a bass that you can get into an overhead bin has still not been solved.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It may be a very nice bass, sound and play great and have plenty of other merits to make it a worthwhile purchase. I have no idea as I have never seen one.

But I certainly can't see how transportability would be improved in any way with that bass. It still has a top, back, neck and the other parts. It is difficult to imagine that the ribs being half the thickness would make such an overwhelming impact on the weight of the bass that you are regularly compelled to take it for a stroll in the park. How much could that really cut the weight?

And while I have only been playing a few years, one thing I do have great deal of experience in is lugging that beast around to places near and far. IME, I have not once ever said, "gee I wish this thing wasn't as thick."

Maybe shorter, like the times when I smash the scroll on a door facing or ceiling fan. Or when you are trying put it in a hatchback or travel trailer. Or narrower, when you trying to rest it on the ribs in said hatchback. But never thinner.

So, in short, what's the point unless it meets other needs?

I kind of see it as simply an EUB made to look like a DB. They've been doing the same thing with acoustic guitars for years. from the front, it looks like a guitar, but from the profile you see that it is really a thin body and the sound is driven almost exclusively by the electronics. It's designed to be played in very loud settings without exploding. Some sound like cheese and others sound really good. I am sure the basses are the same way.
  10. This reminds me of one of those Ampeg Baby Basses. I got a call to play a show with some kid named "Little" Stevie Wonder back in about 1962. The only catch was I had to use an electric bass. I rented one of those Ampegs. The worst part was the thing kept turning around on me from the pressure of my left hands propensity to "pull" to the left, and the fact that the instrument had no ribs to hold it to my body.
    Lucky for me, Little Stevie couldn't see what was happening.

11. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The Ampeg Baby Bass? Didn't they have an extension off to one side to brace against yourself? Maybe not.

Wonder what ever happened to that "Little Stevie" character. I liked his "Fingertips Part 2".
  12. Believe it or don't, Gary Karr endorsed the damn thing and had them put a brace the shape of the upper bout on so you could play in the Thumb positions!
    I think you're right about the body brace too.
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It looks like two someones played tug-of-war over an Eminence from side to side, and they both won.
  14. Two someones? I like that Durrl!
  15. Kay used to make a bass with these approximate dimensions. I played in an orchestra with a gal who had one. It sounded about how you'd think it would; kinda tinny, not much depth. I suppose the attraction for her was the lighter weight, though it really wasn't much lighter than most other Kays I'd played.

I haven't seen one since, on E-bay or anywhere else.
  16. Yeah, that was a pre-war least that's what people use to call them. Everyone always said they were great, but I couldn't hear it. As with all those skinny basses, I feel real insecure with no bulk against my body....of course i'm a REAL man, I don't go for any of that whimpie ****. :cool:
    Take a look at my Avatar!!!
  17. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Am I the only one to notice that it's made out of plywood? :meh: