Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin, Flat Bass Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dstranathan, Jun 22, 2003.

1. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    I know some of you like the chunky, fat P-Bass neck. I like flat, thin "fast" necks.

Can you guys give me a list of who makes the the flattest, thinnest necks?

When you think fast and thin and flat, what bass pops in your mind?

2. Ibanez SRX500

Fastest/most comfy 4 string neck I've ever put my mitts on. Good sound also really helps. I like it a lot.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ibanez necks are pretty thin for the most part. I have an Ibanez TR500, and it's a very thin, fast, playable neck. Very vomfy, even though i have large hands. If you can get your hands on a TR bass, snatch them up! It was discontinued, but I really don't know why. I love mine :D

4. Yep, I've got one of them too and I love it for the exact reasons. Pretty low action too for that quickness. Most Ibanez basses are similar in neck style.

Another bass I tried that has a neck even slimmer is a Peavey Milennium J, crazy thin.

5. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    Do Ibanez necks taper like Fender Jazz basses?

I mean, besides being thin, do they get narrow close to the nut? Or do they keep the same size along the entire neck?

6. There is nothing - and I mean nothing - that can compare to the Rockwood necks that Greg Curbow builds for his creations. Just ask BassMonkee. He has an 8 string fretless(doubled 4) that is very close to a ½" all the way up the neck. Absolutely the thinnest I have ever held. This neck even had graphite bars and a trussrod.

Next to that the Cort Curbows are the thinnest I've seen on the market.

7. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    You think the Ibanez SRX300 has a thin fast neck? I haven't seen one in person locally in a guitar shop to play...

What about ESP necks?

8. Yes. Or at least mine does.

9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Pedulla Pentabuzz- I played one at a GC, and the one thing that I remember most about it was its flat, thin neck. Great tone too :D

10. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    check out the Geddy Lee jazz bass,its molded after his shaved down 75 jazz neck,its shaped like a fender but a bit thinner than a regualr jazz.nice feel if you like a highly laquered neck.

11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Word. Muuuuuuuch cheaper than a Buzz too...

12. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    MTD.

thin, and even thinner on the treble side.

i forgot what that's called...

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Benavente Vortex..very flat!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

very flat indeed (the 51 too) My old Carvin LB75 was very flat as well

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bar none!

That's the truth. If I could afford a Curbow, I'd make Greg whip me up a kickin fretted, but those things are $$$ out the yin yang. Bassmonkeee's fretted 5 that he had the Roland GK-2B pickup on is hands down the best fretted bass I've ever played. I loved the neck sooo much.

If only they weren't so bloody expensive, I'd own 3 or 4.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Status basses. The sixer I tried in London had probably the slimmest and flattest neck I have ever tried. Ibanez SRs have tiny necks too, but they are also narrow. If you are looking for one, you can score extremely well built late 80's MIJ SR, for example SR600, for something like $300. After that just swap the pups and off you go!

17. Pedulla necks are extremely thin, at least on the MVP and Rapture lines (the only ones I've personally played). Why not visit a few dealers and try a few different manufacturers' offerings? Just checking out the suggestions offered so far should occupy a weekend, and in an enjoyable way.

18. My Dingwall Afterburner has an incredible flat neck. Its a compound radius w/ a 7 (kinda Fender thickness) at the headstock and 25 near the body. Pretty flat throughout most of the playing range. Supposedly the 6 string Dingwall necks are even flatter. Very comfy and very fast.
    frank

19. I think Carvin necks are pretty flat, I remeber playing one at a Daddy's, and it was really good feeling.

20. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    okay! so basically everything except Precisions and Warwick???
    :D